Rudd Recall?

Les

I need some help with a recall issue. I have a home warranty company that insists a 1992 natural gas high efficiency forced air furnace was recalled. I can find no evidence with the cpsc, rudd/rheem and various other sources. Is there anyone that has heard about this "recall"? or anything close.

thanks

Les,

Could it be a mid-efficiency furnace? Those had the HTPV recall - http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98072.html

I don't find anything else.

Originally posted by Les

I need some help with a recall issue. I have a home warranty company that insists a 1992 natural gas high efficiency forced air furnace was recalled. I can find no evidence with the cpsc, rudd/rheem and various other sources. Is there anyone that has heard about this "recall"? or anything close.

thanks

I called our Rheem rep here and asked about it. If you had a model number he could plug it in and be able to tell.

He did talk a recall back in the mid to late 80's that involved heat exchanger replacements that ran for quite a few years. The was also a lifetime guarantee on heat exchangers, in some models however, the heat exchangers are no longer being produced so they are offering money to the people affected.

He also gave me beginning of some model numbers that should raise a red flag.

For Rheem: RGEV, RGEA, RGED, RGKA & RGJA. For Ruud replace R with U. These heat exchangers are the cell type.

For Rheem: RGEC, RGED, RGKB & RGKC. For Ruud substitute R for U. These are for the drum style heat exchanger.

Long story short, there might be a problem but without a model numbers he has no way of knowing.

Hope it helps a little.