I'm supposed to carry a firearm on inspections??!

Peanut

Here's a new one: when one client saw my vest, he asked me if it was a "tactical" vest that had a holster in a secret pocket for a gun. I must have looked at him funny. He said "you go out by yourself and you are not carrying a gun?"

Here in FL, it is easy to get the permit to carry a gun, but is this something that other inspectors are doing, packing heat in some of the more questionable parts of town?

Or while in a vacant house?

Had a client ask me same thing one time. I told him no which was the truth. He looked a little spooked. However there are certain areas in metro Atlanta that I do carry a concealed weapon and I do have a permit to carry. Some people tell me they are afraid to work in these bad areas but I will not be deterred by thugs from working anywhere I have a job.

Paul Burrell

A few years ago I was asked to inspect an abandoned house that was owned by a bank in a rough neighborhood. I refused to do the inspection because the area was known for squatters, drug dealing, murders, etc. The bank arranged for an off-duty cop to meet me and accompany me during the inspection. I agreed to do the inspection. His cop friends were also aware of the arrangement and made sure that they were seen patrolling the neighborhood at that time as well. I felt like I was on an episode of Cops!!

FYI, very few people can legally carry a concealled weapon in NJ. You have to have special circumstances to get a license to carry and home inspection is not one of them!

Originally posted by Peanut

Here's a new one: when one client saw my vest, he asked me if it was a "tactical" vest that had a holster in a secret pocket for a gun. I must have looked at him funny. He said "you go out by yourself and you are not carrying a gun?"

Here in FL, it is easy to get the permit to carry a gun, but is this something that other inspectors are doing, packing heat in some of the more questionable parts of town?

Or while in a vacant house?

I know of two inspectors who carry side arms. One visits this board regularly. I'll let him identify himself if he wishes.

The other was a local inspector who simply felt more comfortable when he was armed. To my knowledge, he never had occasion to use it. He was amazed that every other inspector in town didn't carry.

Personally, I don't see the need. There's nowhere in Portland or Salem that I feel uncomfortable walking around in, and I've inspected most of the projects there. Some of the hillbilly properties out in the woods can get a little scary, but a weapon wouldn't make me feel better in those - mostly I just need a shower and some flea spray afterward.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Here's a similar story to Steve's. I recall reading somewhere about a HI that was asked to inspect a house in a bad part of a town on kind of short notice. He had a gun but not a permit to carry it, so that was out, he couldn't get a security gaurd lined up for 2 weeks (too long), and he definitely didn't want to be there by himself. He went to a temp labor agency nearby and asked for a big strong gentlemen to help him move some equipment, they said they had just the fellow, and he was available on short notice. 2 days later he went to pick up this fellow for the job, he was 6'3" and about 240lbs. and lifted weights, and on top of that had a scary look to his face (perfect!) he took him to the site and told him he wasn't going to lift anything just be a "supervisor". He was thrilled and just strolled around the property, turns out he knew some of the "knuckleheads" in the area and when they tried to approach the house he told them he was "working" and sent them on their way. The inspection was completed peacefully and the gentlemen's cost was added to the job. I could picture this happening in my town and thought it was kind of a funny story.

As Jim mentioned, I carry on a daily basis.

The first round is snake shot, (that is like a little shotgun shell for those that don't know)

If I am crawling around under a house and find a rattle snake I will kill it.

The rest of the ammo is designed to stop two legged snakes.

If your state allows it, and you are concerned about snakes (with or with out legs) Then I suggest getting a concealed carry permit.'

You will feel safer, You can defend yourself against the snakes and your clients and their real estate agents/attorneys will not be able to see the gun so they wont think your a wacko.

(Katen probably still thinks I am a wacko.)

Ditto to what Jim said. I can't think of any area in Oregon that I have inspected in where I was really that concerned. There are some areas where I make sure to keep my truck locked securely durring the inspection.

Concerning snakes, I am afraid of them. Spiders on the other hand, not a problem. Those mice under vapor barrier give me a good startle and the same with the ocasional frog and cat. However besides dead bodies no larger live vermin although I have heard stories of coons and possums attacking.

How do your guys do it snake country? I can't imagine attempting to enter a crawlspace where snakes might be present. A couple of years ago I think I saw a show where they went under a house in florida to get a boa. Do they really build on sand? I saw them excavate from the exterior to go under the foundation and it looked like all sand outside and inside the crawlspace.

Chris, Oregon

I grew up in a household that had guns, I learned how to respect, use and fire a gun at the FBI range in Quantico, VA. My dad was an FBI agent for 30 years, and he always said that if you pulled your gun that chances are that the other person would have bigger one! He also taught me that if you want trouble you can find it. Before my father passed away several years back he made sure that his grandchildren had the same training and knowledge of weapons as he had provided his children. I have inspected homes and have locked myself in the home, because of the neighborhood and I don't think a gun would have made me do any different.

I see no reason to carry a gun as a home inspector. Now I have used my flashlight to fend off a few dogs from time to time. As for snakes, I have found plenty of them. Everything from Eastern Diamondbacks, Cottonmouths to harmless and endangered Black Indigo's. I simply leave them alone and go the other direction, quickly. I don't like snakes!

It might upset some but if I had a person working in my home and they had a gun on their person, I would ask them to leave or to put the gun in their vehicle. Accidents do happen and I do not want any member of my family to be a statistic.

I see no reason to carry a weapon. If I got a job in a part of town I didn't want to work - I wouldn't take the job. I heard something once (probably in a bad movie) that stuck: One tough guy to another, "you better file that sight off the front of that gun, cuz when they take it away from you and shove it up your a--, it won't hurt so much".

Before I moved to TN, I worked for Los Angeles County, and part of my job was inspecting Head Start facilities.

All of them are typically in the "bad" parts of town. Many of them are in housing projects, and in the inner city. L.A. County had several hundred of these, and I inspected all of them.

In all of the years I worked for the County I NEVER had one problem going around these areas. It is not because I'm a 250" 6'3" guy with a bad attitude - I'm far from that.

I did my job with a purpose, paid attention to my surroundings, and knew where my exits were.

Once in a rural part of East TN I was lost on a small country road when out of nowhere a man walked in front of me with a M16 and asked me what I was looking for. I think if he would have seen a gun, he would have just shot me without thinking about it.

As it was, I had my paperwork in my hand and confessed I was lost. He nodded back the way I came and said to go back to the main road and keep going a few miles - BUT I was in the WRONG place.

I just don't think we are in a profession we need to be thinking about carrying a weapon.

JF

I did a little more snooping around the web. Apparently, some agents are carrying--more the females. It's not unheard of for a female agent to raped (and worse) by a "client".

I also heard the term "concealed is concealed", meaning I believe that no one will know you have it. And if it's needed, no one will care that you had it.

I also discovered that my vest is indeed one of those tactical things--I just thought I had found one with really cool pockets (found it in the local goodwill).

So what about for the female inspectors? Weapon of some kind beyond the maglight? Pepper spray? Stun gun? Firearm?

A few years ago Michigan passed a new law let would let let any adult without a felony convection carry a concealed weapon. All you need do do is take a class and apply for the permit. I do not have one because I don't feel the need. I have turned down a few inspections from the North side of Flint for safety reasons. If I need a gun to go into a certin area I would rather not go there.

You carry a loaded weapon in crawl spaces?

I carry a .40 Cal most of the time. In crawl spaces I have a .22 with snake shot.

The snake shot in the 22 will just sting you if your more than 15 feet away.

I also heard the term "concealed is concealed", meaning I believe that no one will know you have it. And if it's needed, no one will care that you had it.

That is correct. There are several people that have known me for years that don't know I carry.

I have rules about it. # 1 No alcohol while carrying. If you see me with a drink in my hand I am unarmed.

Scott's dad was correct, gun control is about hitting what you aim at, and knowing about gun safety. I took my wife and kids out to teach them.

I would guess Scott's dad also said;

If you pull it you had better be willing to use it even though the other guy may have a bigger one. (No size jokes, please)

I go to the range about every two weeks, I see guys with all kinds of weapons that can't hit a target that is more that 15 feet away. I don't mean they cant hit the bulls eye, I mean they miss the whole frigging target. Those people should bot be able to carry, but AZ has made it very easy to get a concealed carry permit.

Bottom line is, most people don't know that I carry, if they don't know they are not worried about it. If the time comes when I need it they will be glad I have it.