Radon Testing

I get a lot of grief from realtors when I put my cannisters on the floor or in a basement stairwell to test for radon. I know there's a protocol that differs but I want to know if there's radon where the dog sleeps or where the kids lay down to watch t.v. Am I wrong? I'd appreciate any feedback

Yes it is wrong. Take a look at the EPA site http://www.epa.gov/radon/index.html .

This will help you some, but you really need to attend a training class, take the test and become certified through NEHA.

The dog will be dead before it has cancer from Radon!

There are many do's & don't's (too many to list them all):

20 Inches above floor, 1 foot from exterior wall, 3 feet from exterior window or door.

Do not place device near a forced air register; ceiling fans (in area of device) cannot be operated, whole house fans, fireplaces or exterior vented kitchen exhaust cannot be operated.

This is the biggest 'mis-understanding' realtors and homeowners have.....

Every window (all levels) of a house must be kept closed for duration of test.

Everyone tells me it's only the basement windows that need to be closed.

Darren

www.aboutthehouseinspections.com

Never do anything in business that you are not qualified to do. Tommy, as a New Yorker, I expected more. This is the first time I've heard a realtor have a legit gripe about an HI.

New York does not regulate radon measurement providers, but that doesn't mean they don't take them to court. An unqualified Radonaire guy just north of Buffalo got slapped a few years back for using a continuous monitor. In NY, you also have to be ELAP certified to report CM results.

Please get the NEHA certification as has been suggested. Not only do the canisters have to be 20" above the floor, they are to be placed 4" apart and clearance from walls and windows is critical. I received my training from Rutgers University - it is the northeast regional radon training provider.

As a bonus to becoming qualified and providing quality service, NY places you on this list:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/radon/certified_radon_testers/erie_radontesters.htm%20

Originally posted by New York Tommy

I get a lot of grief from realtors when I put my cannisters on the floor or in a basement stairwell to test for radon. I know there's a protocol that differs but I want to know if there's radon where the dog sleeps or where the kids lay down to watch t.v. Am I wrong? I'd appreciate any feedback.