Patio roof supported on house

Chris Bernhardt

I see this every so often. I don't like it. Is there anything other than personal opinion that says its wrong?

In this case the mounts were bearing directly on the roofing and were directly over the exterior wall on the trusses. At that point it should be all solid wood so I can't see that theres really anything structural wrong gravity wise.

Client wants it to be condemed.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif jse_IMG_0724.jpg

54.46 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif jse_IMG_0732.jpg

51.51 KB

Chris, Oregon

Penetrations through the roof deck that are just 'gooped' don't offer much piece of mind.

Never thought about the wind things - not a bad concern.

I agree; when you're gut is telling you its wrong but you can't pinpoint some definitive defects, it make for a quandary. At some point, like I'm getting better at, just saying that you're gut is twitching is enough!! You don't need to say much more.

When I see completely jacklegged mouth breather carpentry, I think it's fine to describe it as such.

A simple observation along the lines of "it could fall down & kill someone", or, "the connection points will leak, rot, and fail, THEN it will fall down & kill someone", would be fine in my book.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I see this every so often. I don't like it. Is there anything other than personal opinion that says its wrong?

In this case the mounts were bearing directly on the roofing and were directly over the exterior wall on the trusses. At that point it should be all solid wood so I can't see that theres really anything structural wrong gravity wise.

Client wants it to be condemed.

I think it's just fine as long as it doesn't have to stand up to high winds, earthquakes, rain or light mist.

Other than that, I think it's a great installation method. In fact, I may submit it for inclusion in the next edition of the NRCA Roofing & Waterproofing Manual.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

When I see completely jacklegged mouth breather carpentry, I think it's fine to describe it as such.

I have decided to utilize this description ASAP, with your permission, of course...

And I hope to Gawd no one ever asks me to clarify ...they'd have to come back the next day to see if I was done laughing. [:-slaphap[:-slaphap[:-slaphap

The more I just let it go & write like I talk, the more folks seem to like it.

I'm tellin' ya, man. The crucial ingredient missing from HI reports is some entertainment value. People might actually read the damn things if Chris's photo was captioned with that kind of text. Imagine what goes through the clients mind:

No mamby-pamby passive voice whimpering here. H-a-e-l no! Let's read on!

Originally posted by kurt

Geez, when I try to sound smart, it sucks and I sound like a dick.

Jacklegged mouth breather is the sort of thing I say when I'm talking w/friends or customers. The more I just let it go & write like I talk, the more folks seem to like it.

Short, sweet & to the point. Pull no punches...

And so as not to hijack the original post... Wrong, way wrong. As was said, in a good windstorm that will become a projectile doing damage to the house as it is torn from it and damage to other things it hits along the way. I once saw a picknick table/patio umbrella get lifted from it's base, up over the house and landed half a block away[:-bigeyes Fortunately the steel pole didn't hit anything when it landed.

Chris, I think you said those feet were just screwed into the sheathing. That much weight shouldn't be bearing on plywood.

Even they are directly on top of the rafters it seems like a lot of weight to have as a concentrated load on a roof joist, especially considering the low slope of the roof.