Cutler Hammer breaker compatability

inspecTDot

Glad to be on board from Canada to such a positive tech forum. Here's my first question. I came across Cutler Hammer literature indicating their breakers are compatible with numerous other panel manufacturer brands as proven through UL testing. Does the same hold true in Canada where we need to see either CSA or UL with a small c (ULc) for Canada? I came across a Siemens panel with Cutler Hammer breakers. Is this OK in Canada ?

TDot

I guess that depends on what electrical code you work off of up there. If the electrical code you use is based on the IRC, I should think it would, as long as the breakers are listed as being compatible with the enclosure.

Two days ago I did a home with a Murray panel. According to the labeling, the panel was approved for the manufacturer's breakers as well as two types of ITE breakers and one type of GE breaker, yet there was a Cutler Hammer in there as well as an ITE breaker that, though they fit perfectly, aren't approved for that panel. I wrote it up.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Here's what I wrote about this subject in August of 2005:

I’d advise treading carefully when condemning off-brand breakers. Sometimes, it’s not a violation.

If a breaker manufacturer pays for it, Underwriters Laboratories will test and “classifyâ€

Keith,

It's nice to have you here! I'm just the other side of Niagara Falls from our Canadian friends, but I gotta say, "Go Sabres!!!"

BTW, my electronic library has grown exponentially since joining this forum. Katen's links were just added, and be sure to check out all of the incredible resources Mike provides all of us. He's a class act!