AFCI breaker installation

Just did an inspection for a one year warranty. Typical meter main installation with a distribution panel in the garage. The neutral and ground bus bars were not bonded together, but the neutral wires running off the AFCI breakers were attached to the ground bus bar. This seems like an improper installation to me, but was wired by an electrician and signed off by the city inspector. -- can anyone tell me whether or not this is allowed?

Thanks

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Just did an inspection for a one year warranty. Typical meter main installation with a distribution panel in the garage. The neutral and ground bus bars were not bonded together, but the neutral wires running off the AFCI breakers were attached to the ground bus bar. This seems like an improper installation to me, but was wired by an electrician and signed off by the city inspector. -- can anyone tell me whether or not this is allowed?

Thanks

If you're talking about the little coiled white wire that comes out of the AFCI device, you're correct. It's supposed to be connected to the neutral bar, not the grounding bar.

The printed instructions are very clear on the matter.

- Jim Katen, Oregon