Metal roof fasteners

Kudzu

Long time since I posted here. But I have a question. I ran into a metal roof today that was installed with the fasteners in the valley of the corrugated sheets. I am under the impression that the fasteners should be installed on the ridges and not the valleys. Am I mistaken?

Originally posted by Kudzu

Long time since I posted here. But I have a question. I ran into a metal roof today that was installed with the fasteners in the valley of the corrugated sheets. I am under the impression that the fasteners should be installed on the ridges and not the valleys. Am I mistaken?

Some manufacturers specify installing the screws on the flat part of the metal. Some specify installing them on the ribs. You'd have to find the installation instructions for the particular product that you were looking at.

In my experience, the skill of the installer is way, way, way more important than the location of the screws.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Almost always flats. If you run the fasteners in the ridges, they move back & forth when the panels expand & contract. Eventually, the washer opens up a gap & leaks. In the flats, they don't move back & forth nearly as much, and the washer can maintain it's seal better.

Like Katen said, depends on mfg., but it's almost always flats nowadays.