Crack repair recommendations

Do you as a matter of practice recommend that all cracks be sealed to prevent moisture and insect intrusion or do you reserve that recommendation for ones that you observe leaking etc.

In most cases with crawlspace foundations that I see, I don't see how sealing the crack could be justified. Usually the homeowner just squirts some caulk in to the crack above grade. Even if you did a full blown crack repair the majority of the water penetrates at the bottom of the footing so repairing the crack doesn't usually make any significant difference in reducing moisture intrusion.

All I think it does is make buyers feel better.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Do you as a matter of practice recommend that all cracks be sealed to prevent moisture and insect intrusion or do you reserve that recommendation for ones that you observe leaking etc.

I never recommend sealing cracks. Insects will get in one way of the other. Sealant doesn't stop them. Likewise with water.

In most cases with crawlspace foundations that I see, I don't see how sealing the crack could be justified. Usually the homeowner just squirts some caulk in to the crack above grade. Even if you did a full blown crack repair the majority of the water penetrates at the bottom of the footing so repairing the crack doesn't usually make any significant difference in reducing moisture intrusion.

All I think it does is make buyers feel better.

Chris, Oregon

Occasionally, I'll recommend filling a crack with mortar in order to reveal future movement, not to seal it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If water intrusion is a problem and the crack is accessable I recommend sealing the crack with Hydrophobic Polyurethane. I've seen this stuff in action and watched serious water leaks stop before my eyes! It's so much easier, faster and less expensive than digging up the foundation.

Image Insert:

20077221614_temple%20leakmed.jpg

36.83 KB

• 2 weeks later...

The way the crack in the picture was repaired (in a nutshell) was by injecting hydrophobic polyurethane into the center of the crack/center of the wall.

This is done by drilling holes at an angle, from the sides of the crack and installing plugs with fittings similar to "grease fittings" into the holes. The HP in injected under high pressure, reacts to, and is drawn towards the water. It expands and forms a "gasket".

The crack in the picture is a "baby crack'' as compared to some of the cracks my buddy has repaired with this stuff.