Guardrail Narrative

Decks: The guardrails on both decks are loose because the post connections are inadequate. The condition presents a hazard. Testing at Virginia Tech published in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Light Construction has shown that only un-notched posts with bolted thru connections to tie down brackets bolted to joists will meet the building code requirement. Have the guard rail posts replaced and connected per the findings at Virginia Tech published in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Light Construction.

A Simpson Tie rep recently spoke at our ASHI chapter meeting and commented that the muni's are starting to take notice of the weak post rail connections in light of the Virginia Tech testing a couple of years ago and that as I understood it they a promugating the tie down approach.

In the above quoted narrative the house was built in 2005 and it's likely they will dispute any need to improve the design of the post rail connection other then to tighten the screws they used on their overnotched posts.

What do you think? Should I leave out the virginia tech goblygook?

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Decks: The guardrails on both decks are loose because the post connections are inadequate. The condition presents a hazard. Testing at Virginia Tech published in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Light Construction has shown that only un-notched posts with bolted thru connections to tie down brackets bolted to joists will meet the building code requirement. Have the guard rail posts replaced and connected per the findings at Virginia Tech published in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Light Construction.

Maybe something like this:

The guardrails on the decks aren't properly secured. Guardrail attachment is important; the guardrails are there to prevent a person from falling off the deck. Get a carpenter to secure the guardrails.

Sources for this opinion: (Insert sources here, if you want to cite sources. It would be something like "VA tech study XYZ; Journal of Light Construction, Feb. 2005)

I'm all for citing sources for opinions, but something like this is self evident.

Who's going to argue that loose handrails are not a hazard? I'm w/Jerry; just say they're loose and a hazard.

(I don't think they "present a hazard". I think they are hazardous, no?)

Do you know any carpenters that know about the VT study? I sure as hell don't and what they are likely to do around here is just throw some bigger screws in there and call it good.

Image Insert:

2007730194324_jse_IMG_2526.jpg

50.42 KB

In this case where the proper way to do something is just starting to get out there it seemed reasonable to me alert the carpenter or the hairdresser ,as W.J puts it, to a source to guide them in what's now likely to become the proper way to make post rail connections.

Jim Morrison pointed out that there is no way for us to know every best way to repair something. Haven't you guys every been tempted to throw in a source when you believe they are going to do it wrong. (Again I hear Jim M. telling me "Chris we only think we know who is going to make the repairs").

Ok, so lets say the hairdresser throws in some larger screws. You get called back to reinspect it and it wobbles a little less but you know if you lean on it its going to give. So you write up again and they ask you to tell them what the hell you want them to do and then you tell about the VT study and respond now why didn't you tell us in the first place?

Ok, Ok I'm ducking for cover. Just tell them to have a carpenter fix it so no bodies are going over the edge! I got it.

Chris, Oregon