backup reporting method

I will be using computer generated reports. In the event there is a failure of software or equipment I would like to have some type of manual backup material on hand. I dont need anything fancy or expensive. Anyone have recommendations of what might be suitable?

BTW, I have dumped all the CYA disclaimers that were built into my report software. I am including that stuff mainly in the agreement. I will still have disclaimers available for use, but only when I really need them. When that happens they will be inserted exactly where they apply. No more junk strewn about the entire report. You all have helped me see the light. Well, some of the light maybe.

Originally posted by allspec33351

I have used pad and pen, it has worked for me.

Captain

So you are saying you just hand wrote out an entire inspection report as a final product?

What I mean by backup is forms designed for reporting. I was wondering of the different types and opinions associated with them.

I used the matrix system for a few weeks when I was just starting out. They are very easy to use and now they come in color.

Personally, I could never go back after using Home Gauge, but if I were in a bind and could not generate a report for whatever reason, these forms would do the job. I still have a few sets in my office.

http://store.homeinspection.com/script/ ... -Advantage

-Kevin

I've been using a laptop on site since 1993. I've never had a problem. Ever.

Just backup your files at least once a day to multiple sources; I do a daily backup to a hard drive, and 2 USB flash drives.

When your computer dies, you go get another one. Happens every 2-3 years, so I just buy a new one every 18 months. It's a cost of doing business.

Originally posted by AHI

I will be using computer generated reports. In the event there is a failure of software or equipment I would like to have some type of manual backup material on hand. I dont need anything fancy or expensive. Anyone have recommendations of what might be suitable?

Just hook up any kind of USB drive (memory stick, mini hard drive, etc.) and hit SAVE at the end of every paragraph. Or, if you're a real belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, copy the text you've written every two minutes or so, and email it to yourself. That's what the high-school kids do...

Fifteen years of using laptops in the field; never had a breakdown.

WJ

I had my laptop hard drive crash about 5 years ago. I hadn't backed up for awhile and lost a couple dozen reports. After that, every time I buy a laptop I format and install another hard drive, install all my software on both hard drives and back up my data every other day. If the drive crashes (which they do occasionally), I have another ready to go, just put it in the laptop and transfer my data, takes about 10 minutes. A 100 GB is only about $100 now.

Originally posted by WJ

Just hook up any kind of USB drive (memory stick, mini hard drive, etc.) and hit SAVE at the end of every paragraph. Or, if you're a real belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, copy the text you've written every two minutes or so, and email it to yourself. That's what the high-school kids do...

Fifteen years of using laptops in the field; never had a breakdown.

I must be real hard of these dang contraptions............ on my 7th computer in 5 years and have had 5 crashes in the field. The last one my hard drive crashed completely and I had to pay someone to recover data

I have two different computers (lap top and desktop) with two different reporting software systems. I upgraded a couple of years ago, but I keep the old system on the desktop just in case. I email the report from the laptop to the desktop saving on both and then email to the customer and my email server keeps about a years worth of reports on their server. I carry at least two cameras to every job and two flashlights in every crawl or attic. I guess I should have been a boy scout.[^]

Homegauge lets you install their software to multiple PCs, I have mine on two at at the office and the laptop at home.

If you have high speed access consider working out an arrangement with a friend or business associate who has the same to mirror all your data out to off-site PC(s) using the free Foldershare software; using FS you can can mirror gigabytes of data off-site at no additional hardware cost. In addition to local backup to each PC using Ghost and to local USB drives I mirror via Foldershare to two machines at work, the laptop at home, and the PC of a business associate in another city - he in turn mirrors all his data on the two PCs in my office.

One advantage of this arrangement is that I always have the current version of my HG templates and recent reports on all three PCs, automatically synced whenever there is an internet connection. I recently spent a few hours a day on vacation in New Mexico cleaning up the templates, connecting to the net once a day to check my e-mail using my Verizon Treo 700p as a data modem. Everything synced and backup up automatically; I came back, sat down at the office, and wrote a report on the office PC using the updated template.