PEX barrier or not...that's the question

Chad Fabry

I'm finally getting around to installing a wood burning boiler I made almost two years ago.

I intended to install the unit using PEX-AL oxygen barrier style tubing.

I'm wondering if I need the barrier tubing since the boiler is open to atmosphere anyway.

Any of you folks understand the chemistry involved?

You Watts Radiant grads should probably all answer in unison.

It's not that I'm too cheap to spend the extra 125.00 bucks for barrier type... but if I didn't need to spend the money on that I could buy myself yet another pair of batteries for what, I swear to God, will be the last DeWalt products I ever own.

Chad,

There is a great resource directly at Watts who'd answer all the questions you have about PEX. He's already helped me once since the training.

I'm sure if you mentioned that you had originally signed up for the TIJ Training, he'd be more than happy to chat. Heck, they're all nice folk there, regardless of who you are. Anyway, its his job!!

If you want his info, email or PM me. It's probably not appropriate to give his phone number via public forum.

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. I finally caught up with Kolyn from Watts this morning and he confirmed that since the system is open to atmosphere anyway, there'd be no benefit to using a barrier style PEX.

That means I can now afford to have heat and new batteries for my 7 DeVault cordless tools.

I'm all a quiver.

Chad

You need to think long term. You and I are not getting any younger and the wood thing might be a short term idea. I would use the oxygen barrier tubing with the thought's that some day you might change out boilers to a more conventional boiler with gas or oil, and then the tubbing question might come into play. It is only a few dollars more and the over all lo0ng run should be considered. That's my concern with your question and we all know you have the money to buy the new batteries any way.

You need to think long term. You and I are not getting any younger and the wood thing might be a short term idea. I would use the oxygen barrier tubing with the thought's that some day you might change out boilers to a more conventional boiler with gas or oil, and then the tubbing question might come into play. It is only a few dollars more and the over all lo0ng run should be considered. That's my concern with your question and we all know you have the money to buy the new batteries any way.

Geez Brian,

You make it sound like I might not last as long as the tubing.

The boiler is in my barn. I'll never convert to conventional hydronic because I heat with forced air through a heat exchanger so hooking a 'normal' boiler up to the Rube Goldberg setup that I have wouldn't be too bright.

OK, I just got up and side kicked and front kicked the top of the door frame to my office. It hurt but I can still get it done.

'not getting any younger'... kiss my aging butt.

I'll be back later, I need to go down and get some Geritol. I sure hope I can get down those stairs without breaking a hip.

Pirates on insulation: arrgghh value.

Agings seals: aarp, aarp

Dogs w/ hair lips: mark, mark