Electrical repairs

Chris Bernhardt

I guess it would in part depend on the jurisdiction, but do you recommend that all electrical repairs be made by an electrician?

I would think that installing wall plates or fixing a slightly loose receptacle could be done by any handyman.

What about open junction boxes, flying cables, replacement of exisiting luminaires?

What can Joe handyman do that doesn't require an electrician?

Chris, Oregon

Chris,

Just to cover myself, in regards to any electrical item, I do recommend having the work done by a qualified electrician. From a practical standpoint, it isnt necessary. From a realistic standpoint, in most cases, it isnt done, but in the end we dont police the repairs, we just identify em.

Sean

Chicago

I always call for an electrician.

We all know the amazing number of rules there are to proper electrical work. I'm learning them all the time.

What may seem like a handyman fix might require some more obscure repair that's not obvious at first glance.

Besides, at least in our state, its the law (an electrican has to do all electrical work). I don't want to contradict a pretty black and white rule.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I guess it would in part depend on the jurisdiction, but do you recommend that all electrical repairs be made by an electrician?

I would think that installing wall plates or fixing a slightly loose receptacle could be done by any handyman.

What about open junction boxes, flying cables, replacement of exisiting luminaires?

What can Joe handyman do that doesn't require an electrician?

Chris, Oregon

In Oregon, a homeowner can do all of his own electrical work. (Unless he's planning to sell the house within 12 months.) As far as I know, a handyman isn't allowed to do electrical work in Oregon.

Sometimes I recommend hiring an electrician, sometimes I don't. It depends on the buyers, the house, the nature of the repairs and how I feel that day. I just recommend whatever makes sense for the situation.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There's a blurb on the cover page of my report: "....we suggest that repairs be made by qualified individuals following industry and/or manufacturer guidelines as well as applicable code requirements". To say have an "electrician" make repairs kind of leaves it open. I see nothing wrong with handymen making some repairs as long as they are knowledgeable and following accepted practice.

Same here. .. For liability reasons, I always recommend that electrical repairs be performed by a qualified and licensed electrician, however, if it is just installing a wall plate or something like that, then I don't necessarily say a licensed electrician needs to be hired for that. I do the same for plumbing, HVAC, roofing, etc. issues. I always recommend licensed professionals perform the needed repairs. For minor things, like replacing dryrotted trim, reglazing windows, etc., I say "qualified professional" which can mean handyman.

Some handyman in my area will do electrical work, but most won't. Depends on where you are, the local codes, etc. and of course the work needed.