Subpanel question

kasterko

A 1950's home. This panel box is being used as a subpanel. The fuses are labeled as controlling the furnace, pump, "appl" and "gar/disp". This panel is feed, by what looks like SE cable, from a newer 150 main service panel with breakers. This subpanlel has no grounding wires in it. The junction box picture (poor) is where one of the circuits from the subpanel connects to a romex cable feeding the furnace and the grounding wire from the romex is connected to the junction box with a small green metal clip. The junction box was not grounded to anything I could see. I'm pretty sure disposals, furnace fans, etc. need to be grounded. So I believe it is not wired correctly. Anyway, this confused me. Many things do. I wrote it up as subpanel not properly wired - have an electrician install the proper panel and wiring to accommodate the circuits controlled by this panel. Any comments are appreciated. Sorry for the poor picture quality and the inability to annotate them. Also, I need to learn how to put a link in the post instead of the whole picture.

Thanks in advance.

Image Insert:

20081150417_Junc_Grnd_Clip.jpg

19.78 KB

Image Insert:

200811504152_Junc_Box_No_Grnding_Clip.jpg

27.19 KB

Originally posted by kasterko

A 1950's home. This panel box is being used as a subpanel. The fuses are labeled as controlling the furnace, pump, "appl" and "gar/disp". This panel is feed, by what looks like SE cable, from a newer 150 main service panel with breakers. This subpanlel has no grounding wires in it. The junction box picture (poor) is where one of the circuits from the subpanel connects to a romex cable feeding the furnace and the grounding wire from the romex is connected to the junction box with a small green metal clip. The junction box was not grounded to anything I could see. I'm pretty sure disposals, furnace fans, etc. need to be grounded. So I believe it is not wired correctly. Anyway, this confused me. Many things do. I wrote it up as subpanel not properly wired - have an electrician install the proper panel and wiring to accommodate the circuits controlled by this panel. Any comments are appreciated.

You don't seem confused at all. I think your observation and recommendation are right on.

- Jim Katen, Oregon