pitch

John Dirks Jr

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

I walked a cape cod roof today. It didn't look that steep from the ground. I wasn't as comfortable as I thougt I would be. What do you think the pitch is on this roof. I forgot to take my gauge up there with me.

Download Attachment: .jpg"]icon_photo.gif 1b36d1a1-5a83-4075-8578-901a763b32aa_3[1].jpg

18.32 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif pitch.JPG

177.29 KB

I would guess 12/12 and I wouldn't walk it. I'd use binoculars from the ground and maybe use a ladder at the rear flatter roof. I'm not a circus act; if it looks like its unsafe, I don't chance it. I don't get paid enough to risk my life like that.

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

Here's a closeup of the chimney with a little crack in it. No fireplace and it only served a gas water heater and an aged gas hydronic boiler for house heat. Since it's only gas appliances, would you still call the height?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif herrera (47).JPG

180.5 KB

I'd note the cracked mortar but also tell the client that is not uncommon. I recommend a level 2 inspection by a CSIA certified professional on every chimney I see (unless its brand new). I explain to the client what the level 2 inspection will accomplish and why I recommend it. I'd also recommend a flue cover, if not already there.