homeowner says.......

sirch

Originally posted by sirch

you won't find anything wrong with my house.

I've heard that one and several like it, but it's never true. Just once I'd like to do a house and come out with nothing to report. Talk about any easy report...

Brian G.

You'd Find Plenty Wrong With My House, But It's My House [:-magnify

Hundreds of owners -- usually men who stayed home from work just to look over my shoulder -- walked up to me at the start of the job and buttinskilly said, "Can I answer any questions?"

To which I'd respond: "Sure, tell me everything that's wrong with the house, in 100 words or less."

And with that, Buttinski would go to his room, and stay there until I left.

WJ

Don't ya love a challenge?

A couple of years ago, I was greeted by the seller at the door of a 45 year old home I was to inspect. He was a "flipper", and he informed me that his brother-in-law was a home inspector. I took that in two ways...as an implied assurance that the home had been gone through already, and there was nothing left to fix. AND as an implied threat that bro-in-law would critique my findings. Personally, I love this sort of challenge.

It didn't take long to realize that finding problems wouldn't be too tough. I walked into the laundry room and immediately smelled magic marker. Nothing smells quite the same. In a vacant, recently painted home, that struck me as odd. Wouldn't you know, over on the side wall was the breaker panel...the finest product of Federal Pacific Electric. Also known as the Stab-Lok series. With the label neatly blacked out by magic marker. VERY recently. I was both irritated and amused. How dumb did they take me for?

I guess bro-in-law didn't believe that the distinctive orange handles or the words "Stab-Lok" would clue me in. I can only hope that he was new.

Anyway, it cost the seller the sale. The buyer speculated that if the seller would engage in such a lame attempt to hide an easily seen defect, he would likely have covered up more significant ones.

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Hundreds of owners -- usually men who stayed home from work just to look over my shoulder -- walked up to me at the start of the job and buttinskilly said, "Can I answer any questions?"

To which I'd respond: "Sure, tell me everything that's wrong with the house, in 100 words or less."

And with that, Buttinski would go to his room, and stay there until I left.

WJ

Good one! I will use it and call it "The WJ Buttinski Method"