Concrete Tile Roofs

DonTx

Okay you tile roof gurus. I need a little help.

This roof appears to have a chronic case of leaking. Now the agent says it just started about 10 days ago when we had really hard rains. I'm sure it leaked then, but I also believe it has leaked in the past. I found old tar/roof cement compound in the valleys and around most of the roof penetrations. I also found where someone used plenty of expandable foam in the same areas!

I don't think the penetrations are flashed correctly. I've never seen a chimney designed like this. The main part of the home is like an octagon shape with the peak being the chimney. I did find water stains on the framing members. (no surprise there)

How should these penetrations be flashed and how should this chimney be flashed?

Donald

P.S. A little history on this home. It was built in 1974, 4000+ sf, a former Miss Universe owned it at one time (probably sold it because the roof leaked). It was on Ebay but didn't sell. It's located in a small coastal town on the coatal bend area here in Texas. It's about a 1/2 mile from the beach so I know it has seen it's share of storms.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif tilechimney.jpg

61.7 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif turbinevent.jpg

57.48 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif tilevalley.jpg

79.75 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif valley2.JPG

74.26 KB

You've already answered your own question. It's leaked in the past. It's poorly repaired. It was poorly installed in the first place. It's leaking again. Seriously, what more do you need to know?

What type of underlayment was there?

Are the tiles on battens?

How are they fastened?

What was the headlap?

Were all the penetrations flashed to the surface of the tile with lead?

Originally posted by mcramer

You've already answered your own question. It's leaked in the past. It's poorly repaired. It was poorly installed in the first place. It's leaking again. Seriously, what more do you need to know?

I freakin wanna know how it's spose to be done!![:-dev3]

Seriously, I had pretty much nuked the roof in my report by saying a lot of the same things you just did. I was curious how the flashing around that chimney should have been installed.

What type of underlayment was there?

Tar paper. The tile will outlast the paper..right?

Are the tiles on battens?

Yes

How are they fastened?

Nails through the holes at the head

What was the headlap?

Okay, you got me on this one. I'm thinking you're talking about how far the upper tile was overlapping the lower tile? Judging by how far the loose ones had slipped, about 2 to 3 inches.

Were all the penetrations flashed to the surface of the tile with lead?

I dunno. There was so much tar/roofing cement/expandable foam/caulk around them I couldn't tell. I did see one flue that was properly flashed with lead. All others had been gooped up.

Would lead be a proper flashing for that chimney? Would it have been preformed or poured at the site?

Thanks for the help Mr. C.

Crusty, thanks for the link.

Donald