Hardie install specs changed

Brandon Whitmore

A question regarding "joint flashing". When I was doing remodeling work we always used flashing behind the but joints. However, as I continue to learn about different materials and best practices I have to question what is the best flashing material for this application? I always used aluminum flashing, now I am wondering about possible corrosion with the cement siding? Therefore, what is the "best" flashing material for the job: felt, aluminum, PVC coil stock, commercial grade tyvek,...?

Bryan

Originally posted by Bryan

A question regarding "joint flashing". When I was doing remodeling work we always used flashing behind the but joints. However, as I continue to learn about different materials and best practices I have to question what is the best flashing material for this application? I always used aluminum flashing, now I am wondering about possible corrosion with the cement siding? Therefore, what is the "best" flashing material for the job: felt, aluminum, PVC coil stock, commercial grade tyvek,...?

Bryan

Tin shingles (factory painted, galvanized steel) seem to be the method of choice around here though I've used strips of 15lb felt with success.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

Just got off the phone with Freddy from JH Tech Services. He said that, despite what the installation sheet says, they wouldn't void the warranty for nailed butt joints in conjunction with face nailing because the product can be face nailed. I asked him if he was aware of any negative consequences that might acrue as a result of doing that and he said he didn't know but forwarded me to their engineering department for the answer. Got their voice mail again and am standing by.

Before Freddy transferred me, I asked him about the flashings and the caulking; he said that basically any approved flashing, even felt, will do but if aluminum is used it must be painted so that it can't come into contact with the concrete siding. He said that siders can still use caulk if they want to but they don't recommend it, because their experience in the field has shown that it's not necessary as long as the joints are flashed and the siding looks better without it.

Given the lack of knowledge that most siding installation crews have today about such things as corrosion due to aluminum/concrete contact, I think an installer would be just plain foolish to use aluminum flashings when there are so many other options that won't cause any issues.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike