Front Door - What to do?

beagle150

The front door to my home is locked shut.

The screen door is locked - so I have no access to the other side.

The front door door knob type deadbolt can be "unlocked" and turned, but the bolt doesn't fully come out of the slot. The door cannot be opened. The hinges are on the inside and I thought about removing them. I am concerned that I won't be able to remove the door in any case if the deadbolt is still engaged without damaging the door, etc.

My question: How do you suggest I proceed?

1) purchase a new doorknob/ deadbolt

2) call a qualified locksmith

3) then install the new doorknob/deadbolt

- MK

Or...

I'm assuming the deadbolt used to withdraw and I'd therefore guess the "stem" has rounded off. So...using a phillips screwdriver, remove the inside cover plate.

Image Insert:

20081020185747_unlock101.jpg

111.18 KB

Use a pair of pliers to turn the stem, and if that doesn't work by itself, you might also push on the flange in this photo...

Image Insert:

2008102018596_unlock103.jpg

104.69 KB

Then go and buy and install a new deadbolt. To keep them keyed the same, It would probably be simpler to buy a "set" and also replace the dorrknob at this time, if it's not an expensive model.

It's a very easy job but, depending on your level of "handiness", you might want to call on a neighbor(?).

Excuse me. I have to go and put my "model" deadbolt back together.

Not really,

The initial poster is asking about a door that's locked on his own home. I doubt that Richard comes anywhere near this when doing an inspection. If he does, he needs to get back on his meds, stat.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

I find that a good hard and swift kick below the doorknob next to the jamb will often do wonders to open a stuck door.

Originally posted by hausdok

Not really,

The initial poster is asking about a door that's locked on his own home. I doubt that Richard comes anywhere near this when doing an inspection. If he does, he needs to get back on his meds, stat.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You mean that everyone doesn't take every doorknob apart during an inspection? Hmmm...well, that will save me a couple of hours, and I've never been sure what the hell I was looking for anyway. Now, if I could only get rid of the bit where I tear off all the drywall to check on the in-wall wiring.... [;)]

Seriously though, after realizing the lady (admittedly sexist guess) was not actually locked out, I was just trying to save her the expense of a locksmith. Had camera, screwdriver, a handy deadbolt and, after giving away my Monday inspection, way too much time on my hands. No big deal!