Sub Panel

jesse267

I just recently purchased a tri-plex and i want to put the washer and dryer load on the electricial panel that the landlord pays the hydro. Right now there is 3 meters and the service feeds one 100amp panel in the basement suppling one unit. Beside it are 2 100amp fused disconnect switches one feeds Unit 2 and the other feeds Unit 3 both are 100amp panels also.

My question is can i add a 60amp sub panel from one of the 100amp fuse disconnects to supply the laundry load. This panel would also fed Unit 2 100amp panel. Or can i run two feeds off the 100amp disconnect switch one feeding the 60amp panel and one feeding the 100amp panel in Unit 2

Originally posted by jesse267

I just recently purchased a tri-plex and i want to put the washer and dryer load on the electricial panel that the landlord pays the hydro.

I don't know what that means. Are you saying that, as the new owner, you'd like to be paying to operate the washer & dryer?

Right now there is 3 meters and the service feeds one 100amp panel in the basement suppling one unit. Beside it are 2 100amp fused disconnect switches one feeds Unit 2 and the other feeds Unit 3 both are 100amp panels also.

Are unit 2 & unit 3 fed from the same 100-amp panel in the basement? Or are they each fed from their own meters?

My question is can i add a 60amp sub panel from one of the 100amp fuse disconnects to supply the laundry load. This panel would also fed Unit 2 100amp panel.

Yes, probably. But then the renter in unit 2 would be paying for the laundry electricity. Or will you be living in unit 2?

Or can i run two feeds off the 100amp disconnect switch one feeding the 60amp panel and one feeding the 100amp panel in Unit 2

All of this depends on what loads are present on the system. It's possible that there isn't enough power on any of the three services to accommodate the laundry appliances. To answer this properly, we'd need to know a lot more about the electrical system in this triplex.

As a general rule, it'll be cheaper and easier for you to simply call an electrician and tell him what you want to achieve.

- Jim Katen, Oregon