OAHI Is Trying to Recover from Difficulties

There are currently no licencing requirements or permits required to operate as an inspector in Ontario.

Currently the major association in Ontario is going through some difficult times, and that leaves Nachi which is unorganized, and ASHI which is an affiliate of OAHI - Ontario Association of Home Inspectors.

Even though I have been a member of all the Associations, and currently a member of OAHI I have realized that the associations have done nothing for my business since 1991, and I have yet to receive any referrals from them. My work is coming as a result of reputation and length of time in business.

I can give you a run down on them all if you wish to call me at

519-942-9496.

Cheers,

Raymond Wand

• 7 months later...

As a "new" (training pending)...inspector, this is interesting to hear.... One would tink that an association would assist in any way that it could to keep it's members.... what are the fees if any to be part of the association... I understand that there are requierments that need to me met to be able to be in the association.

Thanks

Chris.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum so I ask your indulgence. I'm jumping in on this one as some information I have read is not exactly correct.

As the Vice President of the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors (OAHI) I can say that in the past there have been difficulties as any evolving association would experience.

To say we are having difficulties now is incorrect. The negative comments noted in this thread can only be taken with a grain of salt. One must consider what/who the common denominator is when an individual claims to have been a member of a number of associations only to find them to be poorly run or not run to his liking but remains a member of one of them. So OAHI can't be all that bad and all these reputable associations can't be wrong.

All that being said the OAHI, also known as CAHPI-Ontario....Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors - Ontario, has resolved the issues that had plagued us for many years and we are on the road to a full and healthy recovery, much to the chagrin of the nay-sayers. OAHI/CAHPI-Ontario is a regional member of CAHPI National of which there are seven.

For those Ontario home inspectors and those hoping to be and who wish to join an association I would strongly suggest you look into the OAHI by going to www.oahi.com or email: info@oahi.com

We offer a wide range of training programs, continuous education programs, ancillary services programs, and a staffed office and training centre. Although the home inspection industry is not regulated and we have no licencing requirements in Ontario nor for that matter in Canada, OAHI/CAHPI-Ontario does vigorously regulate itself through the Discipline and Professional Practices Committee...of which I chair.

A full practicing home inspector, once he/she completes all the requirements, becomes an RHI...Registered Home Inspector. This designation is THE recognized designation within not only Ontario but across Canada as well. This designation is protected by trademark at the national level and by a provincially legislated act in Ontario.

I hope this short explanation dispells some of the rhetoric I have read and at least enstills enough interest for those interested to check it out.

To say we are having difficulties now is incorrect. The negative comments noted in this thread can only be taken with a grain of salt. One must consider what/who the common denominator is when an individual claims to have been a member of a number of associations only to find them to be poorly run or not run to his liking but remains a member of one of them. So OAHI can't be all that bad and all these reputable associations can't be wrong.

That's a rather interesting comment considering that freedom of association and freedom of speech is a right. Just because you don't like the message or the person does not preclude them from stating an opinion echoed by many others. This repetitive mantra that if one does not like something then they should not be a member is typical by those that don't want to evoke change and are insecure about their own rules of maintaining the status quo.

All that being said the OAHI, also known as CAHPI-Ontario....Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors - Ontario, has resolved the issues that had plagued us for many years and we are on the road to a full and healthy recovery, much to the chagrin of the nay-sayers. OAHI/CAHPI-Ontario is a regional member of CAHPI National of which there are seven.

Resolved the issues? Healthy recovery? Why are you in denial? The fact is OAHI has once again had to seek a special assessment from the members to make up for a deficit. A 54% increase in membership fees for 2009 can hardly be described as a healthy recovery, and further that many of issues sought at the AGM went unresolved particularly the financial concerns, and the lack of quarterly financial reports of which have not been issued in a timely manner or not at all.

I also think you need to point out the huge rift within OAHI and CAHPI National Certificate program, so much so that many disgruntled members within OAHI found it necessary to pull out of OAHI and start PHPIO (Provincil Home Property Inspectors Ontario). The FAQ page on PHPIO site allude to the difficulty the National program is having with OAHI. ( http://www.phpio.ca/questions.php )

In addition certain individuals of OAHI have found it necessary to take legal action against OAHI as a result of OAHI not living up to its commitments to fund regional meeting groups.

Again it would behoove you not to be selective in your response to the earlier posts, given the discourse within OAHI created by your colleagues on the BOD.

Anyone in doubt about the status of OAHI need look no further than two recent articles published in the Ottawa Citizen and the National Post quoting the officers of PHPIO.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... 2228038978

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/homes/ ... id=1001625

We offer a wide range of training programs, continuous education programs, ancillary services programs, and a staffed office and training centre. Although the home inspection industry is not regulated and we have no licencing requirements in Ontario nor for that matter in Canada, OAHI/CAHPI-Ontario does vigorously regulate itself through the Discipline and Professional Practices Committee...of which I chair.

As former chair of the DPPC it is disheartening to read you trumpeting your own horn given your on the record comments and breaches of confidentiality agreement on other forums discussing confidential matters, and making statements on the Association letterhead which paint you as anything but scrupulous.

Sorry you feel that change is a bad thing and those who want to see change and speak out for it are painted with a broad brush.

Raymond Wand RHI

Not a problem Mike,

Mr. Wands response is typical, and yes he once was the Chair of our DPPC. However he was removed due to his iron fisted egocentric treatment towards those who had the misfortune of having complaints against them and did not follow protocols when administering to complaints.

It isn't a case of dislike. I have no dislike or distain for Mr. Wand. He is a very smart guy his only downfall is he thinks he is smarter then anyone and everyone else.

His venomous comments will eventually wear on all the participants of this forum and they will get tired of his endless diatribe until they will want his removal, as has happened on other inspector forums he has been involved.

It's too bad, cause he could be a great asset.

Wayne

Interesting comments coming from you considering the evidence you state contradicts what you wish others to believe.

Remember Wayne you are the person who had to seek outside legal advice in regards to me, only to be advised by two outside legal firms you and OAHI had no pot to pee in nor a window to throw it out of. If you wish I can post documented evidence as to your false statements.

As to my removal from the DPPC committee I can also categorically state that I was removed for exposing the conflicts of interest which existed when the BOD was found to be having its meetings in the board room of a major franchisor.

As to my recent appeal the Appeal Panel found that your role as DPPC chair you made statements which where found to be completely based on malice, reckless indifference, and wilful blindness to the lack of statutory authority granted to you and your committee under the bylaws and PR 158. One must wonder whether your comments were known with the full knowledge of your committee or done on the QT solely by you because you have a big axe to grind. My suggestion is not to let your role as VP and Chair of the DPPC go to your head.

You might also like to explain to the readers why OAHI is refusing to refund my appeal fee as required in the bylaws.

Wayne lets deal in facts and if you wish I can document and support my retorts, can you support yours?

Originally posted by Raymond Wand

For your information my name is correct in my profile.

Look to the left of your post at the top of this page.

Your comment as to my credibility is unwarranted, and it appears you are trying to start something.
Being south of the border, Jim's just trying to turn this into an international conflict.

Brad, that's funny....

Sounds like typical HI association shenanigans to me. Personally, it all sounds like a tempest in a teapot.

What little I know of the Ontario association is all good, i.e., a bunch of guys working hard to make the profession better, and a couple guys that are angry for all the usual reasons.

I mean, how bad is it really? It's an HI association, by definition confused about how to make things better, but wanting really bad to make things better.

• 2 years later...

Hi Harry,

I don't know if you noticed it or not; but the last comment made on that thread was a couple of years ago. I doubt that Raymond will see that. I don't think he even lurks here anymore.

This crew doesn't like to get involved with all of the inter-association chest beating, so he wasn't really able to find a sympathetic ear here. Is he still hanging out over on the iNACHI board or did he find them not to his liking too?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike