Wuttzat??

Okay People,

Edumakate me! I just replaced my 8-year old computer with one that has Windows XP and whenever I'm on-line these damned square boxes from something called "Messenger Service" keep popping up in the middle of the screen from somebody who says I can get a masters degree in 3 weeks and another one from something called Updatenow.org that is telling me to go to their site to fix a buffer problem.

Well, I know that they are junk, but where the hell are they coming from? The MSN messenger icon in the systems tray has an x over it, so I thought the danged thing is off.

How do I shut this crap down?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!! (Against spam today!)

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Okay People,

Edumakate me! I just replaced my 8-year old computer with one that has Windows XP and whenever I'm on-line these damned square boxes from something called "Messenger Service" keep popping up in the middle of the screen from somebody who says I can get a masters degree in 3 weeks and another one from something called Updatenow.org that is telling me to go to their site to fix a buffer problem.

Well, I know that they are junk, but where the hell are they coming from? The MSN messenger icon in the systems tray has an x over it, so I thought the danged thing is off.

How do I shut this crap down?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!! (Against spam today!)

Mike

Messenger service is used by network administrators to send messages to client computers on the network. If you have this turned on, spammers can span for open ports on your computer and send you a message faked to appear like they came from anywhere, like your network administrator. You should turn this service off. Instructions are below.

This is different from MSN Messenger, for which you see the icon on your toolbar. That's for chatting and other stuff, and is perfectly safe.

You should also go to www.grc.com and run all of the security scans available there. You can trust all of the info there.

Windows XP Home

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel

Click Performance and Maintenance

Click Administrative Tools

Double click Services Scroll

down and highlight "Messenger"

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

Click the STOP button.

Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar

Click OK

Windows XP Professional

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel

Click Administrative Tools

Click Services

Double click Services Scroll

down and highlight "Messenger"

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

Click the STOP button.

Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar

Click OK