Distant trap

elgato

I found a kitchen sink with no trap. Looked in the basement an found one on the sink drain line. But, there is a straight run of almost 8'. This seems wrong, but I can't find a reference for the maximum allowed distance between a drain and it's trap. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Blades 047.jpg

863.91 KB

The trap must be in the same room as the fixture. The only exception I know of is the trap for a wash machine, which can be below the floor.(of course showers and tubs)

Jerry,

Save your picture as a JPEG file, reduce it so that it's less than 200 Mb and then rename it so there aren't any gaps or special symbols in the name. Then post it using the "post a visible picture" choice below the composition box.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The trap must be in the same room as the fixture. The only exception I know of is the trap for a wash machine, which can be below the floor.(of course showers and tubs)

What about bathtubs & showers?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Clarification of "(of course showers and tubs)": Traps for tub and shower fixtures are almost always under the floor, defying the rule of thumb that the trap should be in the same room. Distance restrictions laid out in IRC P3201.6 would still apply.