Light bulbs, premature burnout

StevenT

I inspected a house today that had about 30% of the lightbulbs burnt out. All were recessed ceiling fixtures, some were located inside, some were located outside.

My initial thoughts are over sized bulbs (overheating), moisture, or cheap bulbs. SInce it's a one story structure, I am ruling out vibration.

Is there a more "frequent" explanation?

Well, if you had your crystal ball polished up you could tell what was wrong! [;)]

Now if this was a newer home and still had the bulbs that the builder installed, I would just chuck it up to the bulbs just burning out. They were all installed at the same time so it would be logical to think that they will start to burnout around the same time, depending on usage.

This is a home that was renovated by the owner/builder. Although the house has ""pretty" floors and some other items, when looked at closely, it's a hodgepodge of faults. The house has new service, but there are a few things that bother me about the over all job. Like no GFIs, improperly identified conductors. He tells me he did the wiring.

When I was a kid, light bulbs lasted a very long time. In the last 15 years or so, suddenly they stopped lasting so long.

I think there are some greedy big corporations which decided that light bulbs which do not last as long will make their bottom line bigger.

Some very old light bulbs are still working today...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest-la ... ight_bulbs