plastic electrical boxes

stryped

Speedy you are correct. That is the same way I see it and that is the way it is enforced in many jurisdictions around here.[:-graduat

Even though you don't consider this a "dwelling structure", it still falls under the electrical codes for "dwelling units".

For reference, just look at 210.8 of the NEC, the requirements for GFI protection.

Here is the section in exact text. Garages and accessory buildings fall under the "Dwelling units" category.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use

So in the eyes of the NEC a residential garage or accessory building to a dwelling is still a dwelling structure.

Even though you don't consider this a "dwelling structure", it still falls under the electrical codes for "dwelling units".

For reference, just look at 210.8 of the NEC, the requirements for GFI protection.

Here is the section in exact text. Garages and accessory buildings fall under the "Dwelling units" category.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and areas of similar use

So in the eyes of the NEC a residential garage or accessory building to a dwelling is still a dwelling structure.

Um, no. Article 100 includes definitions for 4 variations of the term dwelling. None of them includes accessory buildings. It's true that 210.8 manages to shoehorn in accessory buildings that have a floor at or below grade but that doesn't mean that they're suddenly part of a dwelling. It says that GFCI protection is required for garages *and also* accessory buildings.

If I say that dinner is ready for the family *and also* for little Ricky who's visiting, that doesn't mean that little Ricky is now part of the family.

On the other hand, I can certainly see why someone would interpret it your way. It seems kind of silly to have a stricter requirement for a detached garage than for an attached one.

Still 334.10 (1), (2), & (3) are very clearly written. There's no reason to expect that CMP 7 meant anything other than what they wrote.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

But what about Little Ricky? Is he going to have anything to eat, or not? If not for the children, then who are we and what do we stand for?

Sometimes I'm glad I live in EMT land. All this talk of plastic sheathed this and different plastic sheathed that.........gimme some iron, a 4x4 metal box to tie it to, and let me forget there's any other way........

Um, no. Article 100 includes definitions for 4 variations of the term dwelling. None of them includes accessory buildings.

Ummm, yes. In my opinion and interpretation at least, and pretty much every inspector I have ever encountered.

Like you said, it is very easy to interpret it this way. And I agree, there is no reason a detached residential garage should be ruled any different than an attached one.

Jeff,

On what basis would you site 334.10(3) on a disposal? This is not another structure.

334.10(3) deals with other types of buildings like a detached garage that are not mentioned in (1) and (2).

I would also like the hear your thoughts on all the physical damage that occurs under the kitchen cabinet.

334.10(3) would apply regardless of 334.15 if the other structure was not a dwelling. If used in another type of structure you need the 15 minute finish to cover the cable.

I do a lot of commercial inspections, hence the reference.