Drain line for Dishwasher....

esch

Hi Matt,

Look up "air gap" and "high loop". Direct connection to the waste pipe isn't allowed . The discharge should connect above the sink trap either through the disposer or into the sink tail piece.

The setup in your photo may allow sewage and sewage gases to enter the dishwasher. Traps, except for tubs and showers, must be on the same floor as the fixture. Aside from that, the tee in the photo is installed backwards. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091087325_74%20UPC_AirGapDeviceOnDrain.jpg

34.18Â KB

Hi Matt,

Look up "air gap" and "high loop". Direct connection to the waste pipe isn't allowed . The discharge should connect above the sink trap either through the disposer or into the sink tail piece.

The setup in your photo may allow sewage and sewage gases to enter the dishwasher. Traps, except for tubs and showers, must be on the same floor as the fixture. Aside from that, the tee in the photo is installed backwards. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091087325_74%20UPC_AirGapDeviceOnDrain.jpg

34.18Â KB

Just never seen that before, I'm familiar with the need for a high loop or air gap to help prevent water backup in sink from going into the dishwasher. I wasn't aware if something was wrong or if I was missing something big, but it looked pretty dumb. There's also a water valve under the house in the crawlspace. I'm not 100% sure what it's for, but I think it's for the dishwasher.

Thanks, Matt

Brevity

or

laziness?

Actually... both? The owner bought/flipped this 1958 house and tried to bypass several things, this was just one. I told him about a highloop and trap on same level as fixture, and suggested that it be repaired by a licensed plumber who knows what he's doing.

I'm new to inspections but I sit down with every client and go over my report. I explain every page to them along with answering questions they may have. Is this customary? It only takes 30-40 minutes. A realtor said it was odd; normally inspectors just drop and go.

Also, I'm new to inspections but I sit down with every client and go over my report and explain every page with them along with answering questions, Is this customary? It only takes 30-40 minutes. A realtor said it was odd, normally a drop and go.

I do a walk and talk through the entire house after my inspection, and take about the same amount of time.

Also, I'm new to inspections but I sit down with every client and go over my report and explain every page with them along with answering questions, Is this customary? It only takes 30-40 minutes. A realtor said it was odd, normally a drop and go.

Spend time with your customers, whatever amount you deem necessary, balanced against the need to be profitable.

Try to ignore things realtors say.

Brevity

or

laziness?

John,

The comment was directed at myself.

Actually... both? Owner bought/flipped (1958 house) and tried to bypass several things, this was just one. I told him about a highloop and trap on same level as fixture, said to have it fixed by a licensed plumber who knows what hes doing.

Spend time with your customers, whatever amount you deem necessary, balanced against the need to be profitable.

Try to ignore things realtors say.

I absolutely agree. I have been fortunate to work with some good realtors that appreciate the time I take to make sure the client understands what I have found. Saves all of us time and trouble down the road.

For the other realtors that keep looking at their watch, and had no idea that an inspection can take 3 hours or more......just remember that you probably inspected more houses last week, than they sold all of last year. As a result they often will be confused about the process. Just have to educate them.