Studor Vent

RichNSpect

Are Studor Vents (AAV's) allowed on a sealed crock for a sewage ejector? More importantly, are they allowed to be in unconditioned spaces, like a crawlspace?

I've been getting some conflicting opinions and want to get the straight scoop. I was under the impression that you can't use Studor vents when venting a sealed sewage ejector, because air must flow both ways in the vent as the pit fills and pumps out.

Is that correct? Also, wouldn't the Studor vent be susceptible to freezing?

Any help appreciated :)

Kevin

Are Studor Vents (AAV's) allowed on a sealed crock for a sewage ejector?

Yes, but there is a specific layout on the vent piping. I'll look for my diagram.
More importantly, are they allowed to be in unconditioned spaces, like a crawlspace?
Yes.
Also, wouldn't the Studor vent be susceptible to freezing?
They are permitted in unconditioned spaces and even on the exterior, provided the temperature does not fall below -40°F.

Are Studor Vents (AAV's) allowed on a sealed crock for a sewage ejector? More importantly, are they allowed to be in unconditioned spaces, like a crawlspace?

I've been getting some conflicting opinions and want to get the straight scoop. I was under the impression that you can't use Studor vents when venting a sealed sewage ejector, because air must flow both ways in the vent as the pit fills and pumps out.

Is that correct? Also, wouldn't the Studor vent be susceptible to freezing?

Any help appreciated :)

Kevin

Oatey says not to use their AAVs on sump pumps:

"Model codes require that all sumps be separately vented to the open air. Without such an open vent to air, internal over-pressure can build up and cause problems."

Freezing shouldn't be a problem.

Check out: http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/insta ... _link3.pdf

Since these things are supposed to be installed above the flood rim of the fixture they serve, how could they be located in a crawlspace?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"Model codes require that all sumps be separately vented to the open air. Without such an open vent to air, internal over-pressure can build up and cause problems."

I don't think they're completely correct. I don't know of any such requirement in the IRC.

Oatey hasn't bothered to figure out how it can be done correctly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200910272131_AAVejector.jpg

31.12Â KB

Since these things are supposed to be installed above the flood rim of the fixture they serve, how could they be located in a crawlspace
I don't know the layouts of homes out there, but here, I've been in thousands of homes that have one or more crawlspaces and a basement. Since the basement is excavated much deeper, the bottom of the crawlspaces are well above any plumbing fixtures that might be in the basements.

Here's where many crawlspace entrances are located:

Click to Enlarge
tn_200910272151_billcrawl.jpg

12.01Â KB

Since these things are supposed to be installed above the flood rim of the fixture they serve, how could they be located in a crawlspace?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The question is not how, but why :) Homeowners do strange things sometimes - see example below.

Thanks for the info.....

Kevin

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091027224025_P1190768.jpg

50.88 KB

I don't think they're completely correct. I don't know of any such requirement in the IRC.

Oatey hasn't bothered to figure out how it can be done correctly.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200910272131_AAVejector.jpg

31.12Â KB

Why is the AAV needed at all in that drawing?

Since these things are supposed to be installed above the flood rim of the fixture they serve, how could they be located in a crawlspace
I don't know the layouts of homes out there, but here, I've been in thousands of homes that have one or more crawlspaces and a basement. Since the basement is excavated much deeper, the bottom of the crawlspaces are well above any plumbing fixtures that might be in the basements.

Ah, yes. I see.

- Jim Katen, Oregon