Field repair of fogged themal pane windows

Jeff Beck

The townhouse I inspected earlier in the week had aluminum framed sliders. The movable sections had significant fogging as did a sliding door.

Has anyone had experience with the companies that defog thermal pane windows and doors?

Does the frame material have any effect (aluminum versus wood or vinyl)? Do they replace the desiccant?

Thanks

Jeff Beck

The townhouse I inspected earlier in the week had aluminum framed sliders. The movable sections had significant fogging as did a sliding door.

Has anyone had experience with the companies that defog thermal pane windows and doors?

Does the frame material have any effect (aluminum versus wood or vinyl)? Do they replace the desiccant?

Thanks

We had a rep from one of those companies speak at a chapter meeting a while back. If the window is fogged to the point where the glass is etched, it can't be fixed. The outer frame -- aluminum, vinyl, or wood -- makes no difference. They don't replace the dessicant.

However, you're talking about glass doors. That means that the glass is tempered. These companies fix the windows by drilling small holes in the glass. You can't do that with tempered glass.

Personally, I'd just recommend replacing the entire door assembly, but then I detest aluminum-framed sliders.

- Jim Katen, Oregon