Blacktop flooring???

Inspectorjoe

Here's my bizarre find of the week. A few days ago, I inspected a vacant retail property that evolved from 19th century farm buildings. The second floor of a post and beam building was floored with about an inch of blacktop. It looked just like you'd find in a parking lot, but it wasn't smooth - obviously they couldn't run a 4 ton roller over it.

The building seemed to handle the weight well. There was no obvious sagging, but the areas below were finished and minor sagging wouldn't be too noticeable. It seemed to stiffen the floor greatly. Walking across it felt like walking on a slab.

I'm not concerned about it, and the only mention of it in the report will be a description (still working on the report Thanksgiving morning). I'm just curious if anyone else has seen anything like this, and/or might know why it was done.

Thanks,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091126115836_Copy%20of%201%20137.jpg

51.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091126115946_1%20143.jpg

57.08 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009112612049_1%20144.jpg

73.93 KB

I've seen this in a couple loft buildings on the west side. I think it was done for a couple (completely misconceived) reasons.

1) "Smooth" flooring instead of rough planks; one can push ware carts over blacktop easily, not so over rough planks.

2) Quasi-idiotic "compliance" with fire codes, but that's just a guess. I think it's pretty much #1.

How'd they get the asphalt up to the second floor? Using wheelbarrows on the narrow staircase in the second photo?

Imagine what an enjoyable chore that would have been.

C'mon Bain! Most roofs are more difficult to access then the 2nd floor of a barn and they put hot asphalt on them all the time. Kettle on the ground and a hot pipe through the window, would be my guess.

How'd they get the asphalt up to the second floor? Using wheelbarrows on the narrow staircase in the second photo?

Imagine what an enjoyable chore that would have been.

C'mon Bain! Most roofs are more difficult to access then the 2nd floor of a barn and they put hot asphalt on them all the time. Kettle on the ground and a hot pipe through the window, would be my guess.

You must realize that I'm in Kentucky, where things are seldom performed the normal or natural way, especially when it comes to something like a barn. My synapses have been trained to expect the wacky and weird.

You must realize that I'm in Kentucky, where things are seldom performed the normal or natural way, especially when it comes to something like a barn. My synapses have been trained to expect the wacky and weird.

In that case, they may use a tractor or excavator for the scoop and dump method. Or better yet, maybe they just build the floor on the ground, lay the asphalt, and then lift the whole shebang into place.

Sorry, I have a little free time on my hands this morning.

But I was actually just being a little silly on the morning I suggested the asphalt was wheeled up the staircase. I s'pose that wasn't exactly clear.

Senses of humor are strange things. I was typing away on my laptop earlier this week when a customer busted my chops and mentioned that if I were her typist, she would refuse to pay me by the hour. Still staring at my computer, I said, "You know, if had feelings that could have hurt them. I suppose being a psychopath has its advantages."

I glanced up a few seconds later and saw that this chick was staring at me with a really bizarre expression on her face. I was instantly compelled to explain that I, too, had only been kidding.

Senses of humor are strange things. I was typing away on my laptop earlier this week when a customer busted my chops and mentioned that if I were her typist, she would refuse to pay me by the hour. Still staring at my computer, I said, "You know, if had feelings that could have hurt them. I suppose being a psychopath has its advantages."

I glanced up a few seconds later and saw that this chick was staring at me with a really bizarre expression on her face. I was instantly compelled to explain that I, too, had only been kidding.

Now that's funny.