Any flood plain experts?

We just put a deposit on a lot, and will have a home built in about a year. The big selling point for this lot is that it backs up to a flood plain (we're about 30' higher, so no worries there) and there's an awesome view of the mountains and pristine desert.

My concern is that someday something might get built in the flood plain. The city told me that in order to build in the flood plain, the builder must:

1. Demonstrate to the city and FEMA that the flood path can be diverted without causing any issues.

2. Raise the floodplain to the same level that my lot is, plus 2' (one for FEMA, one for the City)

This seems unlikely, as the flood plain is 2,000' wide, and borders an archeleogical conservancy, but I'm just trying to cover my bases.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif our view.JPG

61.5 KB

Hi Chris,

Pretty view!

The area I live in has had allot of construction in the flood plains. It took many years for the areas to develop and they were all near the major metro areas. All have been commercial developments, office building and shopping centers no residential construction.

If you are away from town, I would think that you would be safe for many, many years. Might be something that your children might need to worry about.

I don't trust cities, counties or the state myself. In the future, if they need the tax base, they will re-classify any part of ground plus they're talk the Feds into helping them.

Looks like there is another high area out a little further in the picture. What will keep someone from building there and block your view?

Donald

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

I don't trust cities, counties or the state myself. In the future, if they need the tax base, they will re-classify any part of ground plus they're talk the Feds into helping them.

Looks like there is another high area out a little further in the picture. What will keep someone from building there and block your view?

Donald

I'm guessing they'll build on the hill eventually, but that's almost a mile away, so it doesn't concern me. I'll still be high enough to see the mountains.