Wire Nut Splices in Breaker Box

jbpoage

Appreciate the replies. I guess i'm just looking to hear what i want to hear....which this is acceptable.

If it can't be done safely, i'll open up the wall and run a new conductor the entire length. I think i have an acceptable solution though. I found a new splicer block. Rated to 175a, 600v with a proper cover so the conductors are not exposed. It's a busman pb1013 with cover PBC23.

So if a splice with wire nuts is acceptable in a panel, is a splice using a proper splicer block ( with a cover) acceptable?

Some of the replies are good suggestions but i really don't want to replace the entire panel. The house is 2 years old. why the builder dropped in a sub panel is beyond me but it all passed inspection by my home building inspector ( not that that counts for much) but it also passed the builders electrical inspector.

So if there is anyone that can point to an NEC code that indicates if this is indeed acceptable ( or a code that indicates that is isn't) - i'd certainly appreciate it.

Regards;

Mac

I really can't understand what you're trying to do from this description. However, placing a splice block in a panel should not be a problem as long as there's adequate space in there.

Sorry..the description is in a post earlier up,

This is long winded ? I know ? but I wanted to see if could add clarification for Jim as he was kind enough to answer my question.

I am in a fairly new home ( 2 years old ) and I wanted to wire in a portable generator ? one that I already have?not big enough to run AC or anything but it can certainly handle the fridge, freezer and some lighting. When I had the house built, I had the builder run a dedicated circuit to the outside of the house ( 50A breaker, 8 AWG, terminated in an outdoor rated junction box) for a future pool. SO basically Oddly enough when the pool builder wired everything they went directly into the panel so I have a spare circuit available, cable run through the walls, terminated on the outside of my home.I plan on using this to connect through to my main panel.

This spare circuit however is in my sub panel?meaning I can not use the mechanical interlock between the mains breaker and the generator breaker. My plan to fix this is to disconnect the cable of this spare circuit ( which is in my sub panel), join it and run it over to the main panel ( panels are side by side) . Once I move the breaker to the new location I can use the proper mechanical interlock to ensure I don?t power the gen set while the mains are on.

My question ? which hopefully is answered now is how to best make a connection with 8 AWG wire in my sub panel? And to be honest ? I actually think its 6 AWG wire that is installed not 8. I?m certain I can use a wire nut ? though I question the effectiveness of twisting 6 or 8 awg with a wire nut. Some other sites suggested using a split bolt connector but that looks like a bulky ( and to me unprofessional) way to join the wires. I think the cleanest way is using the splicer block that I have ? and with the model I have ? there is a cover so it will be clean and safe.

I thank you for the answer and if any of the description here changes the answer ? please let me know. I may post a picture when done..for any one out there like me who likes to see final results.

Appreciate all of the replies.

Mac

Are you saying that the mechanical interlock will work with the main breaker to prevent simultaneous energizing by both utility and generator?

I've never heard of such a device that comes with such a small generator. They do come on main panels intended for energization by either of two sources.

That mechanical interlock might work on a small sub-panel but you would need to transfer all circuits intended for service by the generator from main panel to sub panel.

Marc

As promised - pictures

I moved the breaker that the gen set was connected to over to the main panel, connected the 6 awg wires form the sub panel to the main panel with a splicer block from busman (still need to install the cover) and installed mechanical interlock to ensure that both the gen set and the mains can not be powered at the same time.

Only thing left to do is join the wire for my dryer and extend it over to the sub panel ( as I stole that slot for the gen breaker)

With the exception that the initial wiring in the panel looks messy ? I?d say it was a reasonable install.

Thanks for the confirmation that a splicer block is within code.

Mac

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014111195956_photo%201.jpg

42.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201411120014_photo%204.jpg

49.74 KB

Hi Mac. That Main breaker interlock would be handier if it was in your subpanel.

The usual practice for an undersized generator is to have a few emergency circuits in a subpanel that is fed by the interlock switch.

To use that as is in the main panel, you will always need to turn off all the circuits your generator can not supply, leaving only the emergency circuit breakers on. Works but is awkward.

There are insulated connectors available, Polaris is a brand name. $18.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014111212146_14V959_AW01.jpg

14.89 KB