"Free" Peachtree Pro accounting software

As I sit here at 1:30 am gathering receipts and wondering how the heck I'm ever going to be ready to meet with the accountant tomorrow, my mind naturally wandered to accounting software. I have Quickbooks 2002, but only got around to registering it last fall. I guess I should say trying to register it. The nice lady in India (as well as her supervisor) said I couldn't register it because that version was no longer supported. But I digress.

To take a break from trying to recreate an entire year's worth of financial transactions, I browsed online for accounting software. Staples has a deal that seems too good to be true. They have Peachtree Pro accounting software for $165, and they're offering a $165 rebate. You need to purchase it between 4/11 and 4/24. From the reviews I've read, the consensus is that Peachtree isn't as user friendly and intuitive as Quickbooks. I don't know if there are any catches price-wise, but I'm going to jump on it.

http://www.staples.com/Peachtree-Pro-Ac ... uct_797819

For over 10 years I've used Quick Books Pro. It takes a while to learn it, but much of the accounting process is automatic. Less data entry labor is required and when you need reports of any kind, it's absolutely incredible. I just generated an 'accountant copy' for my CPA to do my business taxes for 2009. It took no more than 5 minutes and it was Emailed to her. The company that makes QB Pro, Intuit, is very unforgiving if you lose your registration number and equally aggressive about selling you additional features and products. You have to deal with that. When you buy it, keep the whole box, CD case and CD. I don't buy their upgrades, don't need it.

Marc

Quick Books Pro is about as cool as accounting software can get. I've never heard anyone say they liked Peachtree. I haven't played with Peachtree in a long time, but if it's anything like the old version it might be overpriced.

Edit:

Your accounting software should be just like any other tool in your arsenal. It should be the best you can afford and be a good fit so that you can use it comfortably and safely with reliable and repeatable results.

Tom

I also use and endorse Quickbooks, it is great for my small business needs, does everything you will ever need.

I have also been told by various accountants that they prefer Peachtree over Quickbooks, so choosing the right accountant/tax preparer is also important for ease of sending and supplying your information to them, etc.

You can't beat that price though! Free.....