EXTECH MO295 ???

immxpert

Hello, I'm new in the buisness of H.I. but have been a remodeler for 30 years.I'm loking to buy a moisture tester and I was hesitating between the SM or the Tramex. But then I saw the EXTECH MO295 and find it interesting any comments anybody?

Thank You

Maurice

Hello, I'm new in the buisness of H.I. but have been a remodeler for 30 years.I'm loking to buy a moisture tester and I was hesitating between the SM or the Tramex. But then I saw the EXTECH MO295 and find it interesting any comments anybody?

Thank You

Maurice

I tend to avoid Swiss Army Knives. They have a lot of functions but they don't do any of them well.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I use one of these Extech multi function models and it performs well enough to give good moisture and RH readings. I use a separate IR thermometer. There are two down sides I've noticed so far. The protective head on the tip comes off so you have to be gentle with that. It's just a cap. Also, there is only one alarm each for RH and Moisture, so if you're going to different areas and want multiple alarm settings this isn't the meter for you. But for what I expect of it, it does the job. I haven't used the pins once yet. I'm usually checking surfaces with pinless and RH in attic/crawl.

The price is reasonable. I can understand being reluctant to rely on multifunction tools but... as HIs we need qualitative measurements more than quantitative measurements, wouldn't consistant results be just as good as precision results in the context of a home inspection? We need to know if building materials are wet or not, if the RH is too high or low, and be able to calculate temperature differantials; not record specific values for those measurements with any significant accuracy. I think that functionally it should perform just fine, the down side is that when you drop it in the toilet you've lost the sum of all the functions not just one device. If your prone to loosing, dropping, or flushing your tools then maybe it's not for you. I just might add one to my kit though.

Tom