Covered porch/balcony waterproofing diagram

Scottpat

After about two weeks of delays this is what was sent to me yesterday by the builder. This is the balcony waterproofing diagram/design that was created by an architect for this home.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Tile Membrane Detail Edge.pdf

181.52 KB

1: Unless the thinset application is perfect with no voids, water will find its way into voids between the tile and the Hydroban. When it's cold out, the water will freeze and tiles will pop loose.

2: If there are any imperfections in the installation of the Hydroban, it will leak. The mud bed and the felt will do nothing to stop the leaks.

3: The installers *will* screw up the brick veneer/deck flashing. In order for there to be any chance of avoiding a screw up, the architect should provide a real detail of this area.

4: Is there another detail showing how guardrails will be integrated?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim, I agree 100% with what you have posted. I pretty much expressed the same when I spoke with the owner and builder. Right now they are waiting on a revised diagram from the architect that is suppose to include the guardrail and how it is to be installed.

This whole thing is a mess and now the builder is so pissed at me because the owner has refused to advance any money(they are paying cash) for the next draw unless this is corrected.

. . . This whole thing is a mess and now the builder is so pissed at me because the owner has refused to advance any money(they are paying cash) for the next draw unless this is corrected.

If the builder has constructed the deck according the the plans & specs, he has a right to be pissed. So far, this sounds like the architect failed to provide adequate details. I don't suppose this project was big enough for there to have been submittals?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim.

I take it then that any water that makes it past the tile/grout finds its way to the drainage plane and then out? Where does it exit? Any pics of an architectural drawing showing a correct drainage plane?

There are more drawings at the Schluter site. There are lots of drawings in the TCNA manual but. last I heard, they had no drawings or specs for tiles installed outdoors in freezing climates. It's simply not an installation that they endorse.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

This architect is clearly in over his head. There are design details already worked out for stuff like this, and there are manufactured systems like Schluter that have engineered this stuff essentially into a kit. He should have plugged in an existing detail or specified a manufactured system, it would have looked like he knew what he was doing. Instead he looks incompetent.

BTW the Schluter system won't work without significantly reworking the deck to veneer intersection, anything they put there will leak unless the deck overhangs the brick.

. . . This whole thing is a mess and now the builder is so pissed at me because the owner has refused to advance any money(they are paying cash) for the next draw unless this is corrected.

If the builder has constructed the deck according the the plans & specs, he has a right to be pissed. So far, this sounds like the architect failed to provide adequate details. I don't suppose this project was big enough for there to have been submittals?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I have a real funny feeling that the architect is in the builders office and possibly a relative. I have yet to see anything that identifies who the architect is other than what the builder is saying.

No submittals that I have been made aware of.