supply line size for water heater

blazenut

I was at a house today, rancher-only about 1100 square feet, that had 3/4" copper coming in from the street, and tied directly to a 1/2" line soon after entering the foundation. The rest of the home was all 1/2" all over. Two full bathrooms, kitchen and laundry. The water heater was also supplied with 1/2". The home was on a well a few years ago and when the plumbers hooked it up to public they just tied to the existing 1/2". Would you report that baths should be supplied with 3/4" and each fixture branch can be 1/2", or just mention that pressure may be an issue? (water pressure was acceptable throughout) What about the water heater? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I've seen it multiple times on older homes that have been remodeled and I always note it, even if it's a one bath home. Even if all the flow with multiple fixtures on at once seems adequate, I still put it in as an FYI. I tell them that if they switch fixtures (i.e. from low flow to standard flow), have multiple things operating at once (such as a washing machine, dishwasher, and shower going) or as it ages and buildup occurs, flow could become reduced, and that the only repair would be replacing the 1/2" with 3/4" for the main lines, with 1/2" branches to fixtures.