Seal strips failing

randynavarro

I've got a roof where the seal strips aren't holding and the shingles are easy to lift.

I've always recommended sealing the tabs with 3 or 4 dollops of roofing cement.

Is this a published standard or just common sense repair work?

The NRCA Roofing Manual isn't available any longer online. I believe the dollop repair was spec'd in there, no?

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but no shingle roof in my area reaches even half of it's expected lifetime without large numbers of failed adhesive strips.

I first checked my own roof two years when it was 8 years old and spent the better part of two days applying dollops of adhesive at the lower outside corners. I go over it once a year now. Good insurance for a roof in a hurricane prone area.

Marc

Hi Randy,

Most manufacturers will specify that when it's too cold for the shingles to adhere, and you are in wind-prone areas, you need dollops of mastic about the size of a quarter about an inch in from the bottom sides and edges of shingles.

It's easier if you can get the name of the shingle and series, go to the manufacturer's website and download it straight from the horses mouth but when I have nothing else I usually refer to the Certainteed Master Shingle Applicator's manual.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike,

I don't know the shingle manufacturer but the Certainteed Master Shingle Applicator manual would do just fine.

Trouble is, I have to order a copy and I'm trying to get the report out in the morning. It'd be good if I could reference something solid and credible. I'm sort of loading for bear. The seller of the house had three, yes three roofing contractors inspect this roof before my inspection and one even provided a 5 years cert.--don't get me started on roof certs. again!

I found lifting shingles everywhere. Even the top laminated layer of shingle is lifting from the base layer which is something I've not come across before.

Do you have a PDF of the manual you could email or even post in the Downloads section?

Hi Randy,

I can't find the URL where I once located the entire manual onlline. However, after a bit of googling, I was able to find portions of it online. I think you can find what you need in one of these:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 5OyTqNFxKg

http://www.napawan04.com/image/icon/chapter%2015.pdf

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Those spec's pretty much duplicate what the other readily available Certainteed install instruction state. I'm pretty confident with those for now.

Thanks for the taking the time, though, to help a brother out, Mike. I owe you a smooch next time I see you.

I'll pass on the smooch, Thanks. [:-yuck]

Meet me over at 3rd place for a coffee one of these mornings.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike