Edge of new roof "lipping up"

gcip

Thanks in advance to anyone who resonds.

Two years ago we bought a home with a 6 year old roof, that we surprisingly found out was defective / not installed properly. Unfortunately the roof leaked during our first year so we had the whole thing replaced - plywood and new shingles - the following spring (2010). We chose the CertainTeed Landmark 50 shingle and went with a reputable roofing contractor.

I know that we had a rough summer and winter (live in PA), but I am now noticing that roof edge coming down along the garage and coming down along our A-frame section of the house in the back is 'lipping up' (probably not the correct term) as it goes from the middle of the roof to the edge. I climbed up to the edge with a ladder and put a 4 foot level from the edge in, and there was about a two inch gap in the middle of the level. The odd part is as I inspected the underside of the shingles along the edge, they appear to be tight to the decking/metal edging.

Does anyone know if this is normal or should I be concerned?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Two years ago we bought a home with a 6 year old roof, that we surprisingly found out was defective / not installed properly.

Do not be surprised. Most of us have jobs because of this sort of thing.

We chose the CertainTeed Landmark 50 shingle and went with a reputable roofing contractor.

There is a remarkable overemphasis on the make and type of shingle. While I like the shingle you chose, and think Certainteed products are excellent, the shingle is the least important consideration if one is concerned with leaks. It's about all the details you can't see and probably don't even know about.

The reputable roofing contractor probably has nice trucks, insurance, good business practice, clean, etc., etc......but that doesn't mean they're getting the details right.

Go to the Certainteed site and spend a boring few hours going through their installation specifications, then compare them to what your roofing contractor is providing. If they compare, you are lucky.

As far as anything else you described, I can't visualize what you're describing. I have no idea if anything is normal or if you should be concerned.

Gotta have a pic.......give us an establishing shot, then a close up detail.

Call Certainteed and ask for a manufacturer's rep to come out to the house to see if the roof was properly installed.

Keep in mind that most roofing warranties are not for the shingles. The warranties are for the roofing systems that include requirements to following installation specifications.

Hopefully the roofer will come back and make any recommended changes.

Good Luck.

The reputable roofing contractor probably has nice trucks, insurance, good business practice, clean, etc., etc......but that doesn't mean they're getting the details right.

driving around town last week I was at a traffic light with a roofers van. It was a new van with one of those picture murals that cover the entire van. The picture depicted several men installing shingles DIRECTLY over 1x6 planking. I wish I had time to whip out my camera.

Uhhhhh, tar paper much?