Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Whitmore

Crawlspace encounters.

1)If there's a live family of raccoons staring at you when you enter, tell mama 'coon to chill 'til you finish. (last week)

2)If you happen upon a bat hanging from a floor joist mere inches from your face, don't panic. (yesterday)

3)In crawlspaces with minimal clearances, don't freak out and scream if a rat drops down on your chest when you pull insulation back.....nobody is gonna help save you, and you'll just look like a wimp. (while back-- don't want to remember)

If there are live raccoons in the crawl cavity, I no enter till they have been evacuated. The bat(s) wouldn't bother me and the rat thing happens far to often, I'm immune. Two weeks ago, I inspected a home that was built mid 40's, original owner. The crawl space lid wasn't very secure so i expected something in there and the smell didn't disappoint. Long story short, the drain line had been leaking for quite some time and created quite a slurry in a section of the crawl floor. The smell and insects playing in the "pool" were disgusting.

Knocked myself out rearing back from a huge raccoon I came across in a crawlspace - found out later he was dead as a doornail and frozen solid.

Once opened a damper on a fireplace and had a bat fall on my face - after I stopped yelling and swatting, I realized he was dead - smoked actually.

Had a vapor barrier collapse under me and fell into a rat warren once. I'm more afraid of rats than I am of death - I shot out of that house like poop from a goose.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Knocked myself out rearing back from a huge raccoon I came across in a crawlspace - found out later he was dead as a doornail and frozen solid.

Once opened a damper on a fireplace and had a bat fall on my face - after I stopped yelling and swatting, I realized he was dead - smoked actually.

Had a vapor barrier collapse under me and fell into a rat warren once. I'm more afraid of rats than I am of death - I shot out of that house like poop from a goose.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Right there with you about the rats. I can't stand them! Snakes are no problem because I know there's no rats. HAHA. Very rare to find a crawl around here that doesn't have a rat!