Can you do this?

chrisprickett

The electrical "cord" for this furnace was run down through the top of the burner compartment and into the junction box at the bottom of the compartment, instead of directly into the box. It doesn't look right to me, but the manufacturer (York) just says wire as per NEC, and I can't find anything in there.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif furnace wiring1.jpg

45.08 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif furnace wiring2.jpg

56.9 KB

I would be okay with it. I think since there is so much of the cord visible it just looks out of place. I really don't know if there is a rule against running throught the cabinet in this manner as long as the pigtail is not subject to physical damage.

In years past I have made similar installs with romex and some flex. Flex to the cabinet and then romex continues to j-box.

Buster

Hi,

The rule for NM is secured within 12 inches. That's more than 12 inches. They should have brought it in from below or the side and held it in place with anchors within 12 inches of where it goes into that box.

That said, in the grand scheme of things it probably isn't going to mean much.

OT - OF!!!

M.

That doesn't look like NM to me; it looks like 3 wire stranded "extension" cord. It should work fine, better than NM.

What about the contact (at least it looks like contact) w/the draft fan? Also, shouldn't it be secured @ the cabinet opening w/a grommet or bushing? If there isn't a bushing, vibration in the machinery will eventually wear through the insulation, no?

Originally posted by kurt

That doesn't look like NM to me; it looks like 3 wire stranded "extension" cord. It should work fine, better than NM.

What about the contact (at least it looks like contact) w/the draft fan? Also, shouldn't it be secured @ the cabinet opening w/a grommet or bushing? If there isn't a bushing, vibration in the machinery will eventually wear through the insulation, no?

It's not touching the draft fan counter-balance, it just looks that way from the picture. I'm not going to push the issue, but I say that is was sh!##y work.

Thanks to all for the timely response!