Pesky vent stack

Jim Baird

Actually the hole is hidden behind the rafter. This was a roof-over with sheet metal panels and the roofer did not want to bother with cutting out for the vent, so he truncated the stack.

Also my review of the pic tells me the cut was made with a recip saw.

Chad your comment reminds me of a carpenter I knew who drove lag bolts with his hammer. He said the threads were only for removing them.

OK Jim. I must need a bigger monitor. They hacked the pipe off from above. "Now it's a plumbing job to fix and we don' do plumbing."

When I got out of high school, I helped my stepdad build a loafing barn for 80 milk cows. He had one end framed up, and I spent about 6 months with a skilsaw and a hammer, building the other 95%. On the last day, he came by, hammered screws in for the door hinges and called her done.

Actually the hole is hidden behind the rafter. This was a roof-over with sheet metal panels and the roofer did not want to bother with cutting out for the vent, so he truncated the stack.

Chad your comment reminds me of a carpenter I knew who drove lag bolts with his hammer. He said the threads were only for removing them.

I usually drive lags halfway with a hammer first. Works great and it's quick.

Marc

I usually drive lags halfway with a hammer first. Works great and it's quick.

Marc

As well as deck screws........