Cut sill plate

Scottpat

Yesterday while doing a pre-drywall inspection I found something that I have never run across before. In the master bathroom and what will be the closet the sill plate was cut back a good 6" exposing the open CMU core.

I have not been able to ask the builder why they cut it. So I have no idea why or the reason behind it. I think I know the answer and that is they needed a few more inches for the walls! Yes, the CMU is higher than the subfloor by a good 1" to 1 1/2".

I'm at a loss as to what I need to tell them to do with this, if anything.

Any help would be great.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201222893853_DSCN0984.jpg

39.88?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201222893935_DSCN0983.jpg

40.15?KB

They need to seal the cores or there will be significant air infiltration at the those locations. An amazing amount of air moves through those cores. A couple inches of spray foam will do the trick. The same thing happens at the top of the wall when block basements get finished off, an 8" block and a 2x6 sill leave about 1 1/2" of the core exposed.

That's either an error in the plans or a change order that was poorly thought out. Dumb.

Assuming you use the IRC, double check Section R317 regarding the protection of wood based products from decay. I usually see this type of detail when there are concerns about the exterior grade level and required clearances to framing members. DO you have the required clearance to grade around the perimeter. The framing members do not apppear to be treated.

There is this from '06 IRC re rodent entry:

G2404.9 (301.14) Rodentproofing. Buildings or structures

and the walls enclosing habitable or occupiable rooms and

spaces in which persons live, sleep or work, or in which feed,

food or foodstuffs are stored, prepared, processed, served or

sold, shall be constructed to protect against the entry of rodents.

But, then, bathrooms are not included in "habitable" rooms.

Thank you to all for the help and reinforcement! I just fired off the report, I'm giving it about an hour or two before the phone starts to ring....

The grade outside that wall is about 4' below the top of that CMU, so that is not an issue.

That is an unusual detail for around here. Is that something commonly done in your area?

Thank you to all for the help and reinforcement! I just fired off the report, I'm giving it about an hour or two before the phone starts to ring....

The grade outside that wall is about 4' below the top of that CMU, so that is not an issue.

That is an unusual detail for around here. Is that something commonly done in your area?

Fairly common due to the uneven hilly terrain and the rock that builders have to deal with. With this house I could stand up in the front of the crawlspace (I'm 6'2") and at the rear I had about a 3' clearance.

Since Chapter 24 is the gas code, this provision wouldn't apply to anything other than the gas system. Too bad, it would be a nice addition to Chapter 3.

There is this from '06 IRC re rodent entry:

G2404.9 (301.14) Rodentproofing. Buildings or structures

and the walls enclosing habitable or occupiable rooms and

spaces in which persons live, sleep or work, or in which feed,

food or foodstuffs are stored, prepared, processed, served or

sold, shall be constructed to protect against the entry of rodents.

But, then, bathrooms are not included in "habitable" rooms.