Sprinkler System Drain Line

Lasswell

I was inspecting a new house and I am pretty certain the drain line for the sprinkler system is not put together correctly. In the crawlspace a short galvanized nipple was threaded into the CPVC and then had flexible tubing hose clamped to it. The tubing made and immediate 90 degree bend and is kinked. It had no support where it ran across the crawlspace and then was hose clamped to a section of copper pipe which threaded into CPVC which exited to the exterior.

tn_201234182326_Fire%20Sprinkler.jpg

Does anyone know the code requirements for material for the drain line on a fire sprinkler system?

Also this was threaded into the exterior termination of the drain line. Anyone know what this is?

tn_201234182535_Fire%20Sprinkler%20Termination.jpg

Thanks

John

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Fire Sprinkler.jpg

44.59 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201234182326_Fire%20Sprinkler.jpg

16.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201234182535_Fire%20Sprinkler%20Termination.jpg

23.49 KB

Those are so far outside the scope of what we do that you shouldn't even waste time worrying about it.

Post the picture of the kinked pipe along with a header something like, "Get the fire suppression system checked out" and simply explain that you suspect that the kinked line is an issue for that system but don't know because inspectors aren't trained on those systems; and then move on to the next thing.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mikey, it's fire supression. It's in the new IRC and should be on our radar. It would make a really good CE topic.

John, it's a drain. If it looks fooked up it is. Tell 'em to get it fixed.

Uh, no, it's fire suppression.

I know it's in the IRC and it's been on my radar for years. There's a problem with your answer though. The builders in the state of Washington have been successful here, like they've been in so many other states, in getting the state not to accept the new fire suppression portions of the IRC.

I've wanted it here for years. I heard from a fellow in the plumbing components manufacturing business years ago how their firm was gearing up for an expected rush of orders when the IRC finally adopted the fire suppression requirements; and I'd thought that it would be great if we inspectors could add inspection of those systems as a new revenue stream. I'd even begun exploring training opportunities with folks in the field.

What I didn't count on was the Building Industry Association of Washington opposing it. If BIAW doesn't want something in this state it usually doesn't happen. It didn't. Until it does, our board - at least in its current makeup - isn't going to require CE for it and isn't going to add inspection of those systems to the state SOP.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike