big problem

james prosise

I have a 8 year old frame home. Two of the bedrooms are on the same breaker. The bedrooms four aluminum window frames have 18-20 volts a/c. When I turn the breaker off, the voltage goes away. My question is this, "is this a problem that can be traced and fixed without tearing out the sheetrock on all the walls". Help, not sleeping very well....Any ideas on what the problem is?

The siding is hardy board with no conductive material. The voltage was taken with a digital volt meter.

The walls are stud/plywood/rolled felt/hardy board type of material, nothing conductive. That is what is driving me nuts. No foil etc..TV is fine.

Originally posted by james prosise

I have a 8 year old frame home. Two of the bedrooms are on the same breaker. The bedrooms four aluminum window frames have 18-20 volts a/c. When I turn the breaker off, the voltage goes away. My question is this, "is this a problem that can be traced and fixed without tearing out the sheetrock on all the walls". Help, not sleeping very well....Any ideas on what the problem is?

We hear this one every so often. Let me be the first to say, I have no idea what's causing it.

How do you know they have voltage? Are you using a multimeter or one of those volt-stick things?

- Jim Katen

• 4 weeks later...