Sometimes folks just baffle me...

I had a well maintained, 9 year old home today. Aside from rats in the crawl, thanks to the deck installers for removing the meshed vents and just leaving rodent welcome holes, not that much to report. BUT...the kitchen sink had an Insinkerator hot water dispenser plugged into the duplex receptacle used for the disposal. The problem is that the whole receptacle is only live when the disposal switch is on and so, of course, there is no "instant" hot water. I guess you could run the disposal for half an hour or so, but that does seems to defeat the purpose somewhat. [:-propell

Other than not being within the recall range, I don't have an actual date on the unit, but it doesn't look like it was installed just for the sale. Which leads me to wonder why anyone would go to the trouble to stick one of these in and then just blow off the fact that it's completely useless with the current wiring. Peeps can be very odd!

I feel better for venting. Thanks. [;)]

Hi Rich,

So, you're saying that the disposal was improperly wired and both sides were on the switch?

Yeah, that is baffling. One would think someone could have figured that out the first time there wasn't any hot water coming from that dispenser.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Rich,

So, you're saying that the disposal was improperly wired and both sides were on the switch?

Yes...basically. Both sides on the switch. I don't know if that qualified as an "improperly wired" receptacle if the disposal was all that was there originally. Is a disposal duplex required to be split if there's nothing else there? But clearly, it's now no damn good for the current use.

Yeah, that is baffling. One would think someone could have figured that out the first time there wasn't any hot water coming from that dispenser.

"One" being a normal person. There seems to be a shortage of those nowadays.

Continuing with your theme of some folks baffle me....

Did a one of two townhomes in a Duplex two days ago where the roof runoff for the entire building goes to one tank and is pumped up to the storm sewers in the street about 40ft. above when that tank fills; and where each unit has its own waste holding tank that also pumps up to the street above to the sanitary sewer when the tank fills. Nice setup with alarms neatly arrayed nearby.

Except....none of the pumps are working. When the alarms went off to warn the occupants that the tanks were full and the pumps weren't working, did they call a plumber? Hell no! They just turned the alarms off and disconnected the downspouts from their receivers so that the storm water cistern wouldn't fill and I have no idea what they've been doing to prevent the waste tank from overflowing.

The bolts and gaskets are missing from every tank lid. The tanks are placed on a hillside directly in the path of the runoff from a house up the hill that has a downspout eroding a chunk out of the lot. Runoff is washing dirt and stones into the tanks. Did that stop the pump? Maybe, maybe now; however, those pumps probably aren't designed to chew up lots of condoms and ladies feminine products. How they didn't overflow onto the ground is beyond me, and what possessed the morons that live in that building to open those tanks

Click to Enlarge
tn_20124535926_184_0402_00018.jpg

49.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012454453_184_0402_00009.jpg

39.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20124535722_184_0402_00013.jpg

94.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20124535817_184_0402_00012.jpg

74.24 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20124535541_184_0402_00010.jpg

66.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20124535650_184_0402_00011.jpg

67.02 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nah,

Owners, both of them. The owner of the unit I inspected wasn't there but the owner of the adjacent unit came home. I'd found her tank at the other corner of the house, also with no bolts and filled nearly to the brim with stuff that looks like the last photo above - except no condoms. She got all misty eyed when I asked her if she knew the other owner and said, "Oh yes, we're very good friends." Ooooooo....K. I asked her why the tank lids were unbolted and she hadn't a clue. She assured me that if they were backing up the alarms would go off. "Not if they're turned off, which they are," I told her, whereupon she was either really surprised or is a really good actress, so I have to figure that Romeo was the idiot.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nah,

I have to figure that Romeo was the idiot.

So what else is new? Romeo can do no wrong. [:)]

Richard, they could unplug the garburator and use the switch for hot water. [:)]

The one that makes me laugh is the light switch that's taped up in the on position because they've plugged the TV into the light switch socket. Then to turn on the lamp, you have to cross the room and dive over the couch to reach the lamp switch.