What's Happening...

Paul MacLean

Yesterday at completed new construction, I tested the kitchen GFCI circuits with my 3-light tested and everything appeared OK. So I plugged my laptop into a GFCI receptacle and proceeded to do the inspection. When I was finished I plugged my portable printer into a receptacle protected by the GFCI my laptop was plugged into. What!!! The printer has no power and won't turn on.

I double check all the connections and everything seemed OK. So I checked the outlet again with the 3-light tester and it tells me the circuit is still hot and OK. It trips the GFCI on command. Hummmm. OK. Let's plug the printer into the refrigerator receptacle. Lo and behold! The printer works. There must be something wrong with the GFCI and/or circuit.

I pull out the SureTest and plug it into the suspect receptacle and the GFCI trips instantly without touching the GFCI test button. I then repeated the same process on another receptacle on the same GFCI circuit. Again the GFCI tripped instantly without help from the test button. I am totally befuddled.

I recommended that an electrician replace the GFCI and test all receptacles on the circuit as a repair. Do any of you electrical wizards have a clue? I don't. I anxiously await your comments. Thanks!

Originally posted by Paul MacLean

Yesterday at completed new construction, I tested the kitchen GFCI circuits with my 3-light tested and everything appeared OK. So I plugged my laptop into a GFCI receptacle and proceeded to do the inspection. When I was finished I plugged my portable printer into a receptacle protected by the GFCI my laptop was plugged into. What!!! The printer has no power and won't turn on.

I double check all the connections and everything seemed OK. So I checked the outlet again with the 3-light tester and it tells me the circuit is still hot and OK. It trips the GFCI on command. Hummmm. OK. Let's plug the printer into the refrigerator receptacle. Lo and behold! The printer works. There must be something wrong with the GFCI and/or circuit.

I pull out the SureTest and plug it into the suspect receptacle and the GFCI trips instantly without touching the GFCI test button. I then repeated the same process on another receptacle on the same GFCI circuit. Again the GFCI tripped instantly without help from the test button. I am totally befuddled.

I recommended that an electrician replace the GFCI and test all receptacles on the circuit as a repair. Do any of you electrical wizards have a clue? I don't. I anxiously await your comments. Thanks!

I can't imagine what could've caused that series of events, unless. . .

I don't suppose you had a "brownie" with your lunch that day?

- Jim Katen, Oregon