Old Stucco Cracks and No Flashing

Mike Lamb

This 90+ year home had vertical cracks below many windows but the stucco does not appear to be loose. Is caulking the best maintenance advice?

Also, the old stucco homes I see rarely have any visible flashings or weep screeds and appear to be doing just fine. Comments?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251192340_009.jpg

38.67?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251192351_010.jpg

57.27?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251192421_015.jpg

60.31?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251192525_022.jpg

37.51?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251192618_012.jpg

76.18?KB

It's an entirely different mix and system for the old places; no weep screeds, no nothing.

Is it wood or metal lath? The wood stuff sucks, and it's everywhere. The old metal lath stuff (think River Forest) is about 1 1/2 inches thick and laid on a multi-tiered substrate system.

Hi,

Around here there're pretty much the same until you get into the crawlspace and find out that was is backing up and overflowing the mudsill into the crawl and is rotting the mudsill because there's noplace for the water to go when it gets to the bottom of the wall.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the vertical cracks, they're all appearing in places where you'd be required to install an expansion joint under today's rules. If you caulk them with a polyurethane it'll crack out. A stretchable acrylic like Big Stretch would work better. I'd still leave them open a little at the bottom to allow any water to seep out of that lamina though.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike