Zip Level

Andy Shelton

IMO, if you were to charge extra for the service you might be stepping into the realm of engineering. You would need to be careful in rendering an opinion as to the cause and what is needed to stop or correct the problem, as then you would be offering an engineering opinion. We all know that once you tell a client that something is wrong they all want to know why, and what is needed to repair it.

I have thought about using one just to add an additional value to my inspection service and to compete with a couple of inspectors that are using them in my area.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Scottpat

All you need to know about Zip Level

Well, almost all.

It doesn't answer the question, "Why on God's green earth would a home inspector need one of these things?"

- Jim Katen, Oregon

You wouldn't for daily HI work. For construction inspections, and defect investigation work, they're pretty darn handy!

Sometimes I wonder why home inspectors leave the comfort and security of being the "best" inspector in the land, to branch out into other areas. It must be a matter of supply and demand for the other services.

When I get the itch to learn more about my job, I really have to remind myself to stick to the basics and shy away from being an industrial hygienist, chemist, engineer, plumber, etc..

It has worked for me!

Originally posted by Les

Sometimes I wonder why home inspectors leave the comfort and security of being the "best" inspector in the land, to branch out into other areas. It must be a matter of supply and demand for the other services.

When I get the itch to learn more about my job, I really have to remind myself to stick to the basics and shy away from being an industrial hygienist, chemist, engineer, plumber, etc..

It has worked for me!

I can only speak for myself, but I have found doing new construction inspections quite rewarding from both a financial and professional standpoint. Here are some reasons:

Very clean work

Pays well (better than regular HI by about 10%)

Advance scheduling

No agents

Helps me be a better inspector

A new challenge

Less competition

More variety

Almost zero liability

Feeds my HI referral base

I am branching out into investigative work is for many of the same reasons. IMO, "comfort and security" are two of the quickest roads to complacency and failure. "Discomfort and risk" have always worked for me! I, personally, ALWAYS have the itch to learn more about my profession!

Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've never thought of new home construction inspections in that matter, but his experiences nearly mirrors mine.

However, instead of making 4 to 500 on a 1 time inspection, the new construction home will give me about 1500 bucks or more for the same house, not including the 1 yr warranty inspection. I just make more money off of the same house.

I have and use a zip level. I don't use it on a daily basis but I'm thinking I should just to provide the customers measurements for future references. A few guys in the area already market their inspections that way.

New construction inspections have made the difference between barely scratching by at times to living comfortably year round. They also gave us a boost in the beginning and allowed us to be profitable our first year in business.

As for zip levels, they're just another tool if you do a lot of new construction. They can also help out on those older homes as well.

• 1 year later...