Surface

The hardware is extremely cool. They out-Apple'd Apple, imho. I wish Apple would make a full function touch screen tablet.

I'm not sold on Windows 8 for a lot of reasons, but I understand what they're trying to do. It works, but does anyone really want to learn a new OS?

I think in the long run, MS is chasing something they'll not ever catch. I doubt greatly that any major corporation would dive in and upgrade everything to 8.

Hi Jim,

What is Windows RT?

That new Surface commercial - the one that makes one think of a Stomp show - is kind of cool. I find myself actually stopping and turning to watch it whenever I hear the music that goes with it. Makes you want to buy one and join in with the show.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well, after a week's hard shakedown, the shine has worn off. She took it to the PASS Summit in Seattle this week and problems cropped up right away. The computer would occasionally fail to recognize the keyboard, and require a re-boot to work. Several times, on reboot, the machine would fail to display the password screen, so it was impossible to unlock it. Microsoft acknowleges the problems, but doesn't have a solution at this time. She'll be returning it tomorrow.

Ah, well, another good idea that's not ready for prime time.

Yep, that's the buzz. Too bad. Incredibly cool hardware, POS software package and extremely poor integration between the two.

It'll get better, but my bet is MS continues to flail around as they slowly lose market share. They've become the dinosaur in the computer biz; their bloatware concept is what the industry is/has moved away from.

• 3 months later...

I use a Mac for my home computer, but I'm looking for a touch screen with at least one USB port to do inspections. I would go with the IPad, but it doesn't have any ports so if you are in a dead zone with no Internet access, you can't transfer any info. MacBook Air has ports but doesn't have touch screen. Only products running Windows have both touch screen and ports. Looks like I'll stick with what I have for now. Thanks, as always, for all the input.

Yep, those are the problems with Mac.

I like my iPad, but I bought it for using Filemaker Go, and it doesn't work so well. It's slow, and hauling around a $500 notepad that doesn't fit in a pocket is a ridiculous.

The iPad is really cool for just about everything other than inspection reports. It's not designed or intended for content creation.