Why do I need a ground on a satellite TV dish?

hausdok

Yesterday's inspection.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013223125212_351_0222_00006.jpg

33.64?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013223125225_351_0222_00007.jpg

39.56?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013223125241_351_0222_00008.jpg

32.59?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013223125255_351_0222_00009.jpg

34.68?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201322312537_351_0222_00010.jpg

34.93?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013223125325_351_0222_00012.jpg

42.22?KB

It's kind of a good thing this was fiber-cement siding versus wood siding or there might have been more than a little scorching on the clapboards.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Satellite installations per satellite companies are to bonded and grounded per NEC requirements. From what I can see from these pictures, this install was done per manufactures requirements. The messenger wire (thin wire that is burned) should have been attached to the dish mount via a green self taping screw, and the ground wire(green wire in the last picture) should have gone from the single connection grounding block to ground source, which it appears to have done.

Saw an install once that the installer did not bring to the ground source and when lightening hit, not only was the messenger wire fried, but the coax cable, the satellite receiver in the house, the TV it was attached to, a telephone, and an answering machine were all toast.

For that reason, I mention it to my clients when I see a system that is not properly grounded.

Satellite installations per satellite companies are to bonded and grounded per NEC requirements. From what I can see from these pictures, this install was done per manufactures requirements. The messenger wire (thin wire that is burned) should have been attached to the dish mount via a green self taping screw, and the ground wire(green wire in the last picture) should have gone from the single connection grounding block to ground source, which it appears to have done.

Saw an install once that the installer did not bring to the ground source and when lightening hit, not only was the messenger wire fried, but the coax cable, the satellite receiver in the house, the TV it was attached to, a telephone, and an answering machine were all toast.

For that reason, I mention it to my clients when I see a system that is not properly grounded.

Yeah,

You're right. I didn't post this to say it didn't have a ground. I posted it to show an example of why a ground was needed. Without the ground it could have been worse.

Guess I should have elaborated with some context but folks here get tired of my context so I didn't bother.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike