Level II Chimney Inspection Estimate

I called three local chimney sweeps near the top of my Google search for an estimate on a NFPA level II inspection. One said what's a level II? Another said we don't do them and a third said we have done 2 in the last ten years and we charged $340 for the last one in 2010.

Does anyone have any experience with the cost for this? Every time you buy a home with a masonry chimney you are supposed to get one. Right?

I'm just curious since I recommend them on homes with fireplaces so often.

Thanks all.

Kurt, I called Lindemann Chimneys and they were extremely nice. They do hundreds of level 2's a year and charge $219.00 with a step down in price for more than one chimney.

I might be able to do a ride along with one of their guys if they are ever near my neighborhood which would be very cool.

http://www.lindemannchimney.com/

As I said to this question on another inspector forum, the price can vary considerably which is why I recommended you call around for local prices.

Very few jurisdictions have requirements over who is considered qualified to perform a Level II inspection. The F.I.R.E. Service Certified Fireplace Inspector certification is the only legitimate inspector training program specifically for chimneys, vents and combustion appliance venting.

NFPA 211 has had the three levels of inspection since 2000. In it, a Level II is triggered among other conditions, upon sale or transfer of property. Now, while 211 may not be a legally adopted code in your area, it has been proven in court many, many times as THE accepted national std. just as NFPA 54 has been deemed the NFGC. BTW, in Delaware, it is the law since the State Fire Marshal adopted 211 in its entirety and it withstood a case in the Superior Court. A home inspector can get certified to conduct level IIs or just do them by the seat of their pants or refer them to someone else or put themselves and clients at risk by not recommending them at all. It is your choice but I can guarantee you if something goes wrong that can be pinned upon something that a level II would have picked up, you'll wish you had listened to me.

As I said to this question on another inspector forum, the price can vary considerably which is why I recommended you call around for local prices.

Very few jurisdictions have requirements over who is considered qualified to perform a Level II inspection. The F.I.R.E. Service Certified Fireplace Inspector certification is the only legitimate inspector training program specifically for chimneys, vents and combustion appliance venting.

NFPA 211 has had the three levels of inspection since 2000. In it, a Level II is triggered among other conditions, upon sale or transfer of property. Now, while 211 may not be a legally adopted code in your area, it has been proven in court many, many times as THE accepted national std. just as NFPA 54 has been deemed the NFGC. BTW, in Delaware, it is the law since the State Fire Marshal adopted 211 in its entirety and it withstood a case in the Superior Court. A home inspector can get certified to conduct level IIs or just do them by the seat of their pants or refer them to someone else or put themselves and clients at risk by not recommending them at all. It is your choice but I can guarantee you if something goes wrong that can be pinned upon something that a level II would have picked up, you'll wish you had listened to me.

We are way to busy doing so many other things to mess with attempting comprehensive chimney inspections. I recommend Level II on every wood burning masonry unit. Even if it has s stove or other insert installed. It's still a masonry constructed wood burning unit. It should have a Level II when the ownership transfers, just as you mention.

You never know if someone is going to remove the insert and toss logs back into the firebox.

Thanks all.

Kurt, I called Lindemann Chimneys and they were extremely nice. They do hundreds of level 2's a year and charge $219.00 with a step down in price for more than one chimney.

I might be able to do a ride along with one of their guys if they are ever near my neighborhood which would be very cool.

http://www.lindemannchimney.com/

Yeah, they're the only folks I'd ever call for anything related to Level II, liners, or anything fireplace related.