Brick veneer detail for openings

Marc

I've this problem with a gap between the veneer and the windows.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201351185349_003.jpg

53.63 KB

The brick isn't deep enough to reach the edge of the window. I've seen in photos somewhere how the bricks are turned at the perimeter of fenestration openings to allow it to reach the windows so the space behind the veneer doesn't show on the edge of the windows.

Anyone have drawings or a BIA document number that shows what I need?

Masonry ain't my forte.

Marc

EDIT: I've looked at BIA #30 and the house in the photo has a 1/3 running bond. The question now is how do you manage the edges of a fenestration opening on this bond and not leave any opening to the cavity behind the brickwork.

EDIT: I've looked at BIA #30 and the house in the photo has a 1/3 running bond. The question now is how do you manage the edges of a fenestration opening on this bond and not leave any opening to the cavity behind the brickwork.

I have not seen this on residential; however, on commercial jobs they will pull the windows outward 1 1/2" with treated lumber. I have seen something similar to what you are looking for; however, i cannot seem to remember how they did the "off" course of brick.

Another way would be to frame the window opening with shortened brick returns around the window and tie this frame into the remaining brick with ties.

Time was "brick mold", of over an inch thickness, would bring out the perimeter of the window unit to "kill" against the brick.

Around here most "masons" don't even put slope on the rowlock at the sill. We have, I think, seen a general decline in trades abilities/knowledge over a few decades.